New composite door problems - frame bowing/sash reinforcemen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Could someone on the board assist please? I have just had a composite (Solidor) entrance door fitted - the design is with a single sidelight. The door is 950mm wide and the overall width of the entire door/sidelight frame is 1480mm. I noticed when I got home from work that the door wasn't sitting in the frame correctly and upon further investigation, found that the sash was in fact bowing by approx 5mm in the centre. Further investigation has found that there is no reinforcement at all within the sash and as a result, there is quite a bit of movement when closing the door. Of course, when fully locking the door, the top and bottom hooks help to straighten the bowing but not fully. The profile is Rehau and having done a bit of research, it would seem that they use a man made reinforcement (Werbar) - although in my case, no reinforcement is present at all in the sash - but is in the outer frame. Is I have checked and the frame has been correctly fitted and the bowing is not as a result of tight packing. My question is, I have bought a Secure by Design door/frame, also PAS23 & 24 but don't expect such movement in the sash and also would have thought it should be reinforced. Am I reasonable to expect this? Does SBD / Pas23 & 24 specify that there should be reinforcement?

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

View media item 78787

Sponsored Links
Yes call them back in if they supplied the doorset, it's their responsibility regardless of manufacturer, if needs be it's also up to them to contact the manufacturer. I would also withhold payment until your fully satisfied...pinenot :)

Are you aware that its probably only the outer frame that is made by Rehau? The door slab by another

I don't know a great deal about composite doors but i do know i've never seen or heard of a reinforced slab, they're either foam core or timber core

Thanks crank. Yes, the door is Solidor. Only the frame is Rehau. Just need to know if the door sash/jamb where the lock keeps are should be reinforced to meet the SBD and PAS23/24?

Tks

Sponsored Links
they may need to take the beads off the side panel and wedge and pack the glass all around to stiffen the frame up a bit

Hi, I know this thread is quite old but just wondering if the original poster sees this could they update on the outcome of this as I’m having a similar problem with my Solidor installation.

Thanks

PVC and composite doors with sidelight will always wobble a bit. Timber frame will do it too too to some degree.
It mainly depends on the design and layouts. Seperate door and window frames with a steel coupler will be better than an all in one frame.
A midrail in the sidelight rather than one full length of glass will also add rigidity.
Care to post a pic of your setup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back