New computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now after much deliberation going to purchase a new PC.
I know how to transfer my files via memory sticks/pens.
And assume programs will be plug and play to the hardware I don't have installation disc for?
But as a far as reinstalling the internet connection/settings and my email, what is the correct procedure?
Is there anything else I should consider?

Sponsored Links
For your internet settings your best bet is to make note or take screen shots of your existing PC setup (assuming it's still live that is).

If you use Outlook for your emails then worth taking note of the account settings in there too. If your email account uses IMAP then you shouldn't need to back up your emails as they reside on the server but if you have a POP3 account then you will need to back them up. For OUtlook you will need the Backup Plug-in from Microsoft. You will also need to export the Contacts list so it can be imported into the new machine

Presumably the new PC will have Windows 8? Not a great lover of the interface myself and it takes some getting used to. You don't say what your existing PC is running so it's hard to give more specific advice regards moving to the new PC.

What I found to be very good is 'click free'.

http://www.clickfree.com/

Plug it into your computer and it will down load all of your data and transfer it across to your new computer. I use it for a back of all my work data.

Andy

The existing PC is XP.
I have outlook express for emails with pop3.
New would be Windows 8.
and existing PC still in use.
Are the internet settings, the same as the info in outlook options or is that just for emails?

Sponsored Links
It's years since I used Outlook Express so can't remember if you can back up and transfer emails across to a new PC. If you intend to continue with it then you can just copy the settings over with the PC's side by side, but of course your old emails will only reside on the old PC unless you can back up and reload onto the new.

I wasn't impressed with what I have seen of Windows 8, took me ages to find the power off button! Windows 7 is a lot easier if you just want bog standard windows without the app stuff that Win 8 is aiming at - in essence MS have tried to make an operating system similar to tablets for PCs (and vice versa).
I saw Win8 and took an instant dislike!

Do yourself a favour and buy a mac :LOL:

Use two computers side by side here Win7 on one and 8 on the other.

Windows 8 does seem faster in many respects.

If you have this on your new computer simply download, and install, StartisBack and you end up with best of both worlds. Windows 8 computer but that can set to boot into desktop and customise options there.

If you want no hassle conversion, you need to download Windows's live mail from Microsoft, you can import from outlook express with this.

Now...

You can import your email account by going into outlook express, go into the section where your email accounts are, select the email account and select 'export' this will create a .iaf file.

The actual mails, or mail boxes, you need to go into tools section again and go to maintenance, find the store folder, click on it and copy the link to the store folder and paste it into explorer and copy and paste all the .dbx files to memory stick, inbox, sent etc.

Contacts are .wab, so search the c: for *.wab, copy the newest file.

Hope this makes sense.

Sorry 'bout that, wasn't worth the effort - was it?

-0-

Now my brain hurts!
So can I export all my files and emails by have existing and new PC on side by side?
Or do I use downloadable soft to do this and save on memory device, then upload?
or do I save in a safe online place to then upload?

Is win8 really such a bad thing or is it just matter of familiarisation?

Now my brain hurts!
So can I export all my files and emails by have existing and new PC on side by side?
Or do I use downloadable soft to do this and save on memory device, then upload?
or do I save in a safe online place to then upload?

Is win8 really such a bad thing or is it just matter of familiarisation?

Use a memory stick to transfer.

Personally I don't like windows 8 but you would be hard pressed to find anything without these days.

Sponsored Links
Back