New concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am planning a 3" concrete slab on top of an existing cracked concrete shed floor, with a DPM inbetween the two layers, as the existing floor gets quote damp. The top of the new floor will still be below the DPC in the shed walls. I have a question about creating the new level.

If I were creating a slab from scratch, then clearly I should build a wooden form to establish the new level. But in this case I have existing walls to work against, not a form. I am assuming I should tape the DPM up the walls before pouring (and trim down afterwards..). But how do I establish the new level? Do I just draw a line at the required height around the walls on the DPM? That doesn't give me much to work with in using a levelling board, and I am sure would be obscured by splashes of concrete etc while I'm working in it.

Or should I lay a wooden form round the inside of the walls to the right level, and use them to establish the level? If so, should I leave the form in afterwards, or remove it after the main slab has dried and fill in the gap that it will leave? Shed is planned to be used as a pottery so there is no heavy loading planned.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sponsored Links
use timber batons to get your level and then screed the concrete across the batons you should be able to get a piece of timber the length you need

Thanks - do I leave the battens in afterwards or take them out and fill in the gap they leave behind?

Sponsored Links
you can do either upto u will act as a expansion joint if you leave it in but obviously you will see it and not ideal if you are going to tile over it etc but ok if carpeted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back