New Concrete Floor

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a new concrete floor on Monday to my existing garage. I'm having to hire an "Easy Float" with the extendable handle as I can't get around the sides to finish it off.

I'll level the concrete off using battens that I've screwed to the walls, but how long do I leave the concrete before using the float, so that I get a nice smooth finish?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, im not surprised you havent had any reply's yet, they feel burdend answering questions.
Who ever thought you could ask advice off forums.......

Sorry i would love to answer you're question but i'm a novice myself. But stick around i'm sure a good guy will weed through and help you out.

!@diy

If you are going to stick around, try and improve your use of English as well as your manners

1) im,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NO. I'm
2)reply's...............NO, replies
3) burdend............NO, burdened
4) you're...............NO, your

Do I feel disdain ? :mrgreen: Hard not to really.

@cdh

Sorry, can't help with your enquiry. Would if I could.

Depends on the temperature- but try after an hour or so. Then every 45/60 mins till it goes off.
Trouble is with the easy-float you'll push a load of "fat" against the back wall. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Tamp the first few feet then lean on your tamper and reach out and give the it a very light run over with a steel trowel, repeat until out the door, that will bring enough cream to the surface that you can leave it until it's hard enough to walk on (using a board with a bit of polysterene under it)

Then get your shirt off and get to it rubbing it up with the steel trowel and rubbing down any high spots with a float.

The easier option is to hire a powerfloat but the timing of using it is important. but you will get a very good finish.

mointainwalker";p="1927662 said:
!@diy

If you are going to stick around, try and improve your use of English as well as your manners

1) im,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NO. I'm
2)reply's...............NO, replies
3) burdend............NO, burdened
4) you're...............NO, your

Oh, sorry MR PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH SCIENCE DRIVE SCREWS ALL DAY AJKFIAFIUFH,

Never knew perfect written english was a prerequisite for joining this site.
you guy's make it up as you go along.

Any how i c yoo nevr anserd CDH's question for him, was it to moch of a burdend for you, or could you not read that majic book of your's! ;)

You guy's................NO, you guys ( it's not difficult )
written english.........NO, written English

Obviously :evil:

For someone who has mointainwalker as there user name, they really shouldnt be nit picking others enggleish! :LOL:

You'll find on any forum/mailing list/whatever that getting your English correct will help enormously. The odd spelling error or typo is one thing, but giving the impression that you don't care is something else. But for most people, it wouldn't have been mentioned - in your case you seem to have managed to wind people up a bit.

Personally, I find misuse of there/their/they're and your/you're (and similar errors) to be incredibly annoying. People are generally tolerant of people who give the impression that they are trying but still make mistakes - but intolerant of people who give the impression that they just don't care.

Since you managed to make several glaring and basic errors in one sentence, and shortly after giving things a good stir, you just left yourself open to be picked up on it.

Simon thanks for your input. Very much taken on board. But this is'nt about English Spelling at all. Mointainwalker has been exposed as a unhelpful guy, he deems every one that's not experienced in building as inferior. And is quick to quip at their expence.

Fred you best learn to chill out and tone down the attitude a bit if you want to stick around much longer. ;)

FMT

As you probably know, there is no way to correct your username yourself once entered.

U and I adjacent, fat finger !!!!!!!

Guess I have to let the Muppet have that point at my expence ( NO , it's expense ).

Using a long handled bull float is not the easiest bit of kit in the world to use.
Unless the slab has been well levelled out and a large wooden float pulled over on the way out, a finish with bull float will never look up to much.
To answer your question. Wait until the bleed water on the top has evaporated. Could be 2 hours could be 5 hours. Press your hand into cony. If it leaves a very very slight impression you may then get away with float.
Push it in up to 300mm from the back wall, lift it up, place against back wall and pull it back. Stops all the fat being left at back wall.
Wipe your float and go over once more if first time is not leaving good enough finish.
Carry on with rest of floor. Do not keep going over slab as it will bring all fat to top and top will delaminate over period of time.
We do our slabs in a similar way as f896 has described but instead of using a steel trowel on the way out we use a wooden float made out of chipboard 500 long x 200 wide, then after two or three hours go back in and polish up with 450 double ended rounded steel float.
If you want a good finish, be prepared for a late night and have lights available if required.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back