Pouring a concrete garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have erected a 2nd hand concrete garage. Because the site slopes, and I didn't want to get into above ground shuttering, I built a 9" thick wall and put the garage on top of this. I'm now ready to add the floor. I will put down MOT subbase and compact, then add DPM. The floor will come 1" up the inside of the garage walls, preventing water running down the driveway and into the garage, or from seeping under the walls.

My question is, how much work is it to pour the floor. I was thinking of using pump grade concrete - kind of self levelling, and the extra fine material they add should allow a nice smooth finish. I've never worked with this type of concrete before (I'm a DIYer), and I need about 4m cubed (5.6m square floor). I'd like a really smooth finish to make the garage easier to work in.

Does this type of concrete self level well? Do I still need to draw timber across it to make it flat? I don't have much space to work, as the garege walls are already up... And for a smooth finish, is something like a long handled easy float (from Brandon hire say) the way to go?

After laying, what's the covering up procedure for curing? Immediate, or do I leave it a few hours for the surface to dry before putting some PVC sheet over?

Thanks for any advice

Tony

Sponsored Links
you can get a decent finish with regular c20 concrete.

it will need tamping level, and preferably saw drawing with a screed board.

leave it for a few hours then powerfloat for a glass finish.
Good-floor-and-6-blade.jpg

Thanks Noseall

I thought, for the extra few quid, a mix that was more self-levelling might be an advantage. Laying the foundations for the walls reminded me how much work concrete laying could be.

I've never used a power float... Are they easy to use or a liability?

Thanks again

Tony

Sponsored Links
Scary stuff, this lorry load of readymix! All that worries me is getting it wrong. But I've never tried to get a really nice finish on concrete before, never needed to. Will give this some more thought!

Cheers

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back