New conservatory, are my doors on the wrong way round??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had our old conservatory replaced and the job is nearly completed. But I've just noticed something that worried me yesterday. Now this may be a stupid question but I found it very odd that the hinges were on the outside of the door with what looked like allen key bolts securing them and I thought all someone has to do to break in is to unscrew those bolts. I haven't tested this theory out but am I right?

I've attached some photos and thought I'd ask on here before trying to test this out, hope I'm wrong!

20170602_102025.jpg
20170602_102042.jpg
20170602_102056.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perfectly fine, the Allen bolt is the hinge pin but it is secured with a tiny grub screw, if you open the doors and look behind the hinge you should see it but either way if the doors open out then the hinges need to be outside too, the door wouldn't open if they were inside

So the Allen key hinge bolt can't be turned if there is a grub screw? I would have thought the leverage exerted from the allen key would have been sufficent to negate the effect of a grub screw unless you are saying the grub screw actually screws into rather than onto or pinch the shaft of the hinge bolt(s).

I have taken a photo of the hinge and looks like the grub screws have not been fitted, doesn't look very secure to me.

Attachments

• 20170602_111431.jpg
    20170602_111431.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 157
The grub screw doesn't pinch, it locates in a groove running around the pin, do those holes have threads in them? The hinge manufacturers who assemble the hinge should put them in, I bet the frame fabricators didn't even check, it's no big deal though to get some grub screws and put em in if it gives you peace of mind, couple of quid if that, but if someone wants to get in they'll just pop one of the French door dg units and walk in, you wouldn't even hear them

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks for the info. Yes they do have threads, they just forgotten to put the grub screws in.

I'm curious and :eek: what's a french door dg unit?

Sorry, dg = double glazed sometimes referred to as DGU or in the trade just known as units

Bit over the top those. Only high security doors would come with those.
I have been to several insurance jobs where someone has tried to break into PVC doors and windows. They normally normally make a right mess of the frame and then give up and smash the glass

Yes I was wondering about that when I was writing the original post but double glazing glass is pretty tough so it'll make a lot of noise. As long as those hinges simply can't be unscrewed then that's my major concern dealt with. I just think it was pretty bl@@dy careless of them to not fit the security screws!

They've been careless with other things as well like not protecting the existing patio when they were building the new conservatory hence we've now got to get them to come back and clean the mortar stains. What is it with builders they seem to lack hindsight and customer service skills.

Yes I was wondering about that when I was writing the original post but double glazing glass is pretty tough so it'll make a lot of noise.

Not necessarily, toughened glass is virtually silent when it pops, it doesn't make the crashing smashing glass sound usually associated with [float]glass, when that comes down its almost certainly going to slice bare skin open, check this video, i dont know what he was hitting but he accidentally caught the glass but it shows how quiet it is.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back