new consumer unit and bonding to external gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started to get some quotes today for a new consumer unit along with bonding to the external gas meter. I was under the impression the bonding would stop being advisory and be required if changing the consumer unit out.
One of the guys quoting (who is registered, I checked) says otherwise. I'm thinking he thinks its to much hassle because the walls are 2ft thick stone and there is no visible gas pipe anywhere near the electric meter .... should I avoid this fella?

Sponsored Links
Started to get some quotes today for a new consumer unit along with bonding to the external gas meter.
Bonding is not connected "to the external gas meter".
It is connected to the pipe "at its point of entry to the building where practicable" if required.
"Where practicable" means where it will achieve the same result; i.e. at a point inside where it is accessible.

I was under the impression the bonding would stop being advisory and be required if changing the consumer unit out.
It is - if required - some meters have an insulating section which electrically separates the internal pipe from the supply pipe in the ground.

One of the guys quoting (who is registered, I checked) says otherwise. I'm thinking he thinks its to much hassle because the walls are 2ft thick stone and there is no visible gas pipe anywhere near the electric meter
It is nothing to do with being near the electric meter.

.... should I avoid this fella?
:?:

the only bit of supply side of pipe from meter is maybe 6" long and outside. As soon as it goes into wall it cannot be seen until it hits the combi boiler which is some distance from the consumer unit/earthing point.
I've had 2 advisory notices in the last couple of years so I'd assumed it needed doing if was to have any work done , although I'm coming to the conclusion that getting 2 electricians to agree on something is an impossible ask .....

the only bit of supply side of pipe from meter is maybe 6" long and outside. As soon as it goes into wall it cannot be seen until it hits the combi boiler which is some distance from the consumer unit/earthing point.
Such is life.

I've had 2 advisory notices in the last couple of years so I'd assumed it needed doing if was to have any work done ,
It does need doing - if required.
Are you sure it is not already done at some hidden place?

although I'm coming to the conclusion that getting 2 electricians to agree on something is an impossible ask .....
You could be right.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure it's not been done, apart from a boiler change the rest of the gas piping is at least 20 yrs old and it wasn't a requirement back then was it?

i'm assuming there is no way of knowing without actually seeing it? otherwise its plaster off walls/and or pulling the kitchen to pieces ....

i'm assuming there is no way of knowing without actually seeing it? ....
A basic visual check would be to see how many bonding conductors there are at the main earthing terminal. If there are three they may be:
main earth, water bonding and gas bonding. Bonding to gas may have been done via the incoming water supply so it’s not a dead cert.

A continuity test is not a certainty. Unfortunately gas and water pipes will test to earth whatever is done because they are joined to earth through boilers, pumps and valves etc.

is this the earthing terminal, next to the consumer unit?
IMG_20210517_134554582.jpg
IMG_20210517_134554582.jpg IMG_20210517_134554582.jpg IMG_20210517_134554582.jpg IMG_20210517_134554582.jpg

AT a first glance, it looks like there is only one bonding conductor, the middle one in the junction box above the RCD. That probably just goes to the water. The end should be situated on the water pipe near the water stop cock in the house.
If there's only one conductor at that end, its a fair bet that your gas supply is not bonded.

Yes, there is clamp under kitchen sink near the stopcock which goes through the plasterboard.
Looks like I'm pulling kitchen apart then ...
What started as a bathroom re-fit is now that, new consumer unit, bonding and freaking plaster boarding ....begining to wonder if its worth the hassle now
Thanks for the help though, not shooting the messenger .....

Afaik you can still use 1 bond to do both Gas and Water if that makes things easier

The fact that it is "some distance from the CU/earthing point" may be a bit of an inconvenience as regards wiring (although, as Rocky has said, if it's closer to the water pipe bonding, that might make things easier) but it sounds as if that place where it "hits the combi boiler" may well qualify as "as close as practicable to the point of entry into the building" (as required by the regs).

Kind Regards, John

By time it meets the combi boiler i'm pretty sure supply pipe has already split, which i thought was a no no as regarding the regs

Rocky are you saying take from where the bonding is on the water pipe to gas pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back