Gas pipe bonding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my existing installation the gas pipe is bonded in 2 places. One bond is in the meter box outside, and another bond is on the otherside of the wall as it comes into the garage.

Are both these bonds nescercerry? The second bond is getting in the way of my new consumer unit, so if it isn't nescercerry it would be great!

Sponsored Links
If a gas meter is mounted outside, the pipework should be bonded where the pipe enters the property. So the external one is redundant.

How do you mean the bond is in your way?

Surely if the bonding is, so is the pipework?

sadly not! the bond is in the way as the 10mm cable runs where just under the consumer unit. it is a bit of a challenge getting 16mm swa into the cu with a 10mm earth wire getting in your way

Sponsored Links
If it's so big and/or so long that it needs 16mm SWA, wouldn't a separate switchfuse be preferable to an MCB in a CU?

id guess he means the SWA is feeding the CU

imo you should always use a metal CU if feeding it with SWA

and can't you just remove the earth termporerally and put it back when your cu is installed

the 16mm swa is going ot feed a submain outside for a hottub! i used 16mm because of the voltage drop. The thing with putting the earth clamp back is it looks ugly! lol I'll have to think of a better way around it!

What rating is the MCB on the circuit, and how long is it?

How is the hot tub connected at the other end?

As for the earth clamp, yes it is ugly, but unfortunately you can do nothing about the fact that you must have one, as close as possible to the point of entry.

if you are using swa of that size i would strongly advise against attaching it to a plastic CU

use a metalclad CU or a seperate adaptable box

plugwash said:
if you are using swa of that size i would strongly advise against attaching it to a plastic CU

use a metalclad CU or a seperate adaptable box

thats why i used a metal clad cu....i think i would have ripped a plastic one apart.......

ban-all-sheds said:
What rating is the MCB on the circuit, and how long is it?

How is the hot tub connected at the other end?

As for the earth clamp, yes it is ugly, but unfortunately you can do nothing about the fact that you must have one, as close as possible to the point of entry.

The MCB rating is 50amp. its about 20m away. Although 16mm is overkill i wanted expandability so i don't have to dig up the patio (again)!.

The 16mm swa feeds another CU near the hot tub. This cu is in a IP56 box and will feed a few other things in addition to the hot tub. The hot tub shall be connected via a 32amp commando socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back