New consumer unit RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have changed out an old fuse box for a split consumer unit (will be notified to local authority).
On one side I have sockets, cooker etc. and on the other, lighting, boiler etc.
The left hand side (RCD1) works fine and on the right (RCD2), there are no problems if just the lighting circuit is energised but if I energise the boiler MCB then both RCDs trip. I can connect the boiler into RCD1 and all works fine but if I move the extractor hood from RCD1 to RCD2 then again, both RCDs trip so it seems that any load (apart from lighting) added to RCD2 causes a trip. I thought that maybe the RCD (63A Type A) was faulty so I bought another one but same problem (new RCD has replaced RCD2 and original RCD2 now sits in RCD1 slot. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Pesumably, you have the Neutral in the 'wrong' Neutral bar when connecting to the 'other side' RCD.

What were the results of the continuity and insulation resistance tests for each of the circuits?

What were the trip times for each of the RCDs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - you were correct - neutral was in the wrong bar!

So, for all you non-believers, the electrical works were successfully signed off today - if I say I am going to do something then I do it!

I have changed out an old fuse box for a split consumer unit (will be notified to local authority).
On one side I have sockets, cooker etc. and on the other, lighting, boiler etc.
The left hand side (RCD1) works fine and on the right (RCD2), there are no problems if just the lighting circuit is energised but if I energise the boiler MCB then both RCDs trip. I can connect the boiler into RCD1 and all works fine but if I move the extractor hood from RCD1 to RCD2 then again, both RCDs trip so it seems that any load (apart from lighting) added to RCD2 causes a trip. I thought that maybe the RCD (63A Type A) was faulty so I bought another one but same problem (new RCD has replaced RCD2 and original RCD2 now sits in RCD1 slot. Any ideas?
It is a waste of money randomly changing things when you have not diagnosed the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back