New build site RCD issues

Sponsored Links
The RCCB is wired incorrectly. One has the neutral from the feed in at the bottom, the other has the feed at the top.
See post #9. It seems that the left-hand RCD is a rather 'special' one ("Split Load", as it says), the likes of which I personally have never seen (or heard of).

Kind Regards, John

See post #9. It seems that the left-hand RCD is a rather 'special' one ("Split Load", as it says), the likes of which I personally have never seen (or heard of).

Kind Regards, John

Bugger. Missed that one

What about where inserted into the bus bar chamber, never used them, but would assume from pictures there is a gap in bus bar which is breached by the RCD, so if inserted one hole to left then maybe it would connect two lines together which would result in imbalance?

Sponsored Links
What about where inserted into the bus bar chamber, never used them, but would assume from pictures there is a gap in bus bar which is breached by the RCD, so if inserted one hole to left then maybe it would connect two lines together which would result in imbalance?
As I understand it .... if it were inserted 'one hole to the left', none of the 'protected' MCBs would be connected to it (the left-hand prong would be getting power from the main switch, and the right-hand prog would be connected to nothing (being in the 'gap' in the bar) - so none of those 'protected' circuits would work.

Kind Regards, John

As I understand it .... if it were inserted 'one hole to the left', none of the 'protected' MCBs would be connected to it (the left-hand prong would be getting power from the main switch, and the right-hand prog would be connected to nothing (being in the 'gap' in the bar) - so none of those 'protected' circuits would work.
Correct,

or two to the left, or indeed anywhere to the rightit is not supposed to be.

As a matter of interest, why does anyone think it is called a split load RCCB?
I would think that it refers to being for use in a split load CU, but of course it doesn't have to be and that depends on the busbar.

With left hand one yes, but with right hand one would it not result is two RCD's feeding same bus bar?
No, it and therefore the other RCD would not receive any power.

Edit - incorrect - the other RCD is of course connected to the main switch.

Last edited:
Maybe because ...

upload_2019-1-25_15-23-19.png

Kind Regards, John

Maybe because ... <piccie>
However, when you asked ...
I would think that it refers to being for use in a split load CU, but of course it doesn't have to be and that depends on the busbar.
... maybe you weren't intending to ask why anyone thinks it is called a split load RCCB (the answer being 'that's what is says on the tin') but, rather, were asking why Crabtree called it that. Is that the case?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Ah, too slow - you've answered that question

Yes, it is the formation of the busbar that determines if the CU is split load, not the fact that it has one of those 'odd' RCCBs.

Yes, but why is it called that?
You tell me. As you've said it could be used however one wanted - it's really a way of allowing the L's of one (but only one) RCD within a CU to both be plugged in to busbars - but that could be done with a 'single RCD CU' (e.g. a 'garage' one) just as much as for one of those in a 'split-load' 2-RCD one.

Kind Regards, John

It's different from the other, because the N terminals are on your right as you look at it, and it's three units wide with offset terminals.

Other brands I've seen also swap left and right.

It would works just as well either way, but the labelling and colours (if any) would be incorrect and encourage errors.

On the Starbreaker, it may need a special arrangement of those "stabbers" for the busbar, which other brands don't have.

Here's one I did long, long ago (not a current one)
View media item 1092

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back