New Contractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
Just a few months off completing my 2360 pt1, and 16th edition.
Instead of waiting for qualifications though, I am eager to start up soon as poss as an independent electrical contractor (small jobs for now).
Problem is, I am not sure what to do about part P, aint got the £400 to register (according to niceic).
Do you think I will be ok to work for several months before I think about part P?

PS while im in a inquisitive mood, can someone tell me what is the best
(but affordable) test equipment? a megger, a fluke, or another...cheers all

Sponsored Links
This now forms part of the building regulations, so if you do the work and cant submit the test certificate as part P certified then, the building inspector will not pass it good work or otherwise.

Jacktomo..completing the 2361 part 1 does not make you qualified I'm afraid, you will need 2361 pt2

Starting up on your own is admirable, and I wish you success, but please be aware there are legal pitfalls to your chosen course at this stage.

Any work you wish to undertake will legally require you to be in possession of Public Liability Insurance, and you cannot get this by deciet, should anything go wrong and the Insurance company remove your cover due to false or inaccurate information, then you could be facing Prosecution or at least crippling legal bills in a civil action. To get PLI as a contractor you would need to convince the Insurance Company you are indeed qualified.

Then there is Part P, you would not be able to register for any of the Domestic Installer Schemes I'm afraid as you would not be seen as qualified in their eyes. Minimum Standards are 2361 pt 1, 2361 pt 2, 2381 AND 2391.

They would also want to see a selection of jobs you have completed for yourself, as a contractor, before allowing you to join the scheme.

I am not saying do not do it, simply ensure you do it with your eyes wide open and aware of all the facts. I would not want to see you up against a wall due to lack of information.

Good Luck.

FWL_Engineer said:
Then there is Part P, you would not be able to register for any of the Domestic Installer Schemes I'm afraid as you would not be seen as qualified in their eyes. Minimum Standards are 2361 pt 1, 2361 pt 2, 2381 AND 2391.

They would also want to see a selection of jobs you have completed for yourself, as a contractor, before allowing you to join the scheme.

So is this Catch 22?

You can't do any work until you are able to self-certify, but to qualify for that you have to show them your work... so how the *&$% do you do the work that they inspect?

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
You need to do work that goes down the building control inspction route, or restrict the scope of what you do to 'minor works' (not kitchens or bathrooms, except like for like replacement of damaged cables or defective fittings.)
It is quite possible, by a mixture of using building control on the big jobs, and arranging all others to be minor work, to do most things, BUT you need to know if your BCO are up to inspecting it. Many are not yet grasping what is required of them, and the fact that an awful lot of work is still being done and not reported, doesn't mean joining that group, and willfully, repeatedly doing so is a particularly good idea.
It is one thing to do family and friends stuff on the nod, who you know won't shop you, or claim against you for damage to their new lino, but you may get called out to do the house of an over zealous trading standards officer...
be careful.
regards M

HDRW said:
So is this Catch 22?

You can't do any work until you are able to self-certify, but to qualify for that you have to show them your work... so how the *&$% do you do the work that they inspect?
You need to be a good little drone, book yourself in for the lobotomy, give up all notions of starting your own business and go and work as a low-paid knuckle-dragger for an existing company. That is why your caring, listening government introduced Part P for heavens sake, so it must be a good thing.

But seriously, jacktomo - if you want to work now and be legal and competitive you will have to restrict yourself to domestic work and register with one of the Competent Person schemes. Don't be put off by FWL - you don't need anything like that amount of qualifications to register as a domestic installer. The topic of whether you should need them is very much not up for debate at this particular time, and I don't doubt for one second that FWL wishes that what he wrote were true, but it isn't - just check out the entry requirements on the various websites.

Thanks everybody for the advice, much appreciated...jacktomo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back