new cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my consumer unit only has 5 slots which are all used. 2 for light, 2 for sockets and one for the boiler.

I wish to add another circuit to supply a cooker.

Is it time for a new consumer unit or is there a way to add another circuit?

Sponsored Links
New fuseboard and if you can afford it you'd be better off moving all circuits over, it might well be not much more ££. There may be a way to supply it from your existing board (unlikely) but it will be cr@p.

There are other ways for example Henley blocks but what every you do will likely involve Part P so either you will need a registered electrician who would advise you on best course or you will be using the LABC (Local authority building control) route and with latter you pay them the same what ever size the job is up to £2000 so it would be prudent to do all Part P work at same time.

The new regulations require RCD protection on nearly all circuits and you will need to consider which of the options to go for. There is the split board with two RCD's or in most cases the better option of board with RCBO's on all circuits.

A Contactum RCBO costs £19 and consumer unit £13 for 6 way or for duel RCD same make £50.25 for 8 way plus £2 each for MCB's so £97 for best option and £62.25 for cheap option I would say the £34.75 extra is well worth it. I would also fit bigger than 6 way but quoting lowest prices.

With a £100 plus charge from LABC not really worth skimping. I expect cooker is in a kitchen and it is new circuit so no real way of avoiding Part P.

Cheap route still needs RCBO at £26 and Service Connector Block at £6 so even cheapest option is £32

Do also remember you will likely also have to pay to have isolator to be fitted so you can turn off supply to fit either Service connector block or new consumer unit.

I would also say this is not really a DIY job and although you can take LABC route I would advise against it.

Thanks so much for the help.

You seamed to read my mind and somehow know that funds are an issue.

There are some other dodgy aspects to the wiring in the house. The place is junction box mad with each circuit spidering out in nether ring or radial! So I am probably going to have to rewire pretty much everything.

A friend of a friend who is a full registered spark is coming to have a look tomorrow so I will have a proper idea of what needs doing.

I am part p qualified but nor registered to sign off my own work – they don’t tech you about old wiring in college.

I go without saying that I will need a proper sparky to do the fit the consumer unit and work in the special locations, kitchens and bathrooms.

But can I legally do the rest of the circuits my self. I know I am not allowed to fit new circuits in other peoples homes but the regulations are a bit vague as to what I can do in my own home, as a so called Competent DIYer

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't care if you break the law but I should point out you may have problems with resale if you do.

Be careful with word "Competent" two different meanings. For Part P it means your a registered person but with wiring regulations it means you are a level higher than skilled and can do work without danger to yourself or others.

As an Electrical Engineer with over 30 years in the trade what I am allowed to do in my own house is no different to what anyone else can do. Unlike gas there is no difference as to working on your own house or some one else's house.

There are moves to change the rules as to what councils charge but as it stands it is £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work in Wales.

There is no reduction for doing your own inspection and testing.

But to change a consumer unit the main problem is how to turn off the power. Often Electricians will draw the main fuse but strictly this is not permitted but not to draw the fuse would break the Electricity at work act so only legal way is to first get supplier to fit an isolator. Once anyone turns off the power they are not allowed to re-power unless it complies with regulations and if it did comply then would be no point in doing the job. Think referred to as catch 22.

However once you apply to council they are responsible for safety. But if they did their job then there would be no rouge trader TV programs as once you have LABC involved they should be watching. However for child protection agency if council gets it wrong fingers wag but for building to house the children no one seems to care if council just take money and run.

So although I can use LABC without any problem for the DIY person I would think your not considering your families safety by DIY and I would say in most cases better to not DIY electrics.

I know I am not allowed to fit new circuits in other peoples homes but the regulations are a bit vague as to what I can do in my own home, as a so called Competent DIYer
No they aren't - they make no mention of any such distinction because none exists. It makes no difference whether you are doing work in your own home or someone elses, and no difference if you're doing it for free or for payment - if you aren't registered then there are some things you may not do without getting approval in advance.

thanks for all the comments,

I have had it looked at by a pro - and he has agreed i can help him with the easy bits and he is going to sign it all off for me so everything has worded out ok for me.

Regarding work in my own home their are some jobs i can do without breaking the law. I can not touch the consumer unit - work in special locations or kitchens - or put in new circuits. However i am aloud to replace like for like so there are a few bits i can do - ie changing some light fittings and sockets. I am also allowed to make non notifiable minor alteration to existing circuits like adding a spur - however i am still leaving it to the pro.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back