New CU

The OP would need to consider whether the cable size as installed is less than 4mm or is at least 4mm.
If the cable is <4mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.

The next size down from 4mm² is 2.5mm². I think we can safely discount 1.5mm² or 1mm² having been used on a 32A breaker no matter what the topology.

If the cable is 2.5mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.

Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether the cable size is adequate for the OPCD.

Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether a 2.5mm² cable is adequate for a 32A OPCD.

Hence
What considerations would make a 2.5mm² cable adequate for a socket radial on a 32A device?

The OP might also like to consider whether the circuit is a ring or a radial.

If the cable is <4mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.
What considerations would make a 2.5mm² cable adequate for a socket radial on a 32A device?

"Consider - look attentively at"
Oh, the irony.

Sponsored Links
Yea I forgot to underline my >

upload_2016-6-8_11-30-31.png

≤ "Less than or equal" makes logical sense as one is considering from a low to an equal status
However :-
≥ "More than or equal" would (in my opinion) make more sense if it stated "equal to or greater than" since one is starting at a minimum acceptable level (equal to) and progressing forward

Sponsored Links
If the cable is 2.5mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.

Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether the cable size is adequate for the OPCD.

Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether a 2.5mm² cable is adequate for a 32A OPCD.

Something I neither said nor implied.
Errr---- can you really not see the colours which I applied to the quoted "not fine", to make it absolutely clear that that was exactly what you were saying. You obviously didn't realise it at the time, and you obviously still can't.

I'll try one more time, then give you up as a lost cause with major comprehension problems.

• Iggifier said "For the benefit of the OP, if they are radials wired in >4mm² cable, they're fine on a 32A OPD. If the cable is <4mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine." Make sense? He was talking about radials. >4mm² on a 32A device = fine, <4mm² on a 32A device = not fine.

• You then said "Seeing as we're splitting hairs.... Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether the cable size is adequate for the OPCD." That came immediately after what Iggifier wrote, so there cannot possibly be any way that your "not fine" was't referring to his "not fine", except in the mind of someone incapable of understanding what he, and others, are saying.

There cannot possibly be any way that the sense of what you wrote was not "When Iggifier said 'not fine' he meant that it might need some consideration as to whether the cable size is adequate for the OPCD."

So given that his "not fine" was indisputably about a cable <4mm² on a 32A device, and given that the only conceivable cable <4mm² which it could be is 2.5mm², I asked you
"What considerations would make a 2.5mm² cable adequate for a socket radial on a 32A device?"

In reply to that you said "The OP would need to consider whether the cable size as installed is less than 4mm or is at least 4mm." You had been attempting to clarify the "not fine" scenario which was a cable <4mm². So what you wrote there was superfluously irrelevant.

You then said "The OP might also like to consider whether the circuit is a ring or a radial." You had been attempting to clarify the "not fine" scenario which was a radial. So what you wrote there was also superfluously irrelevant.

"Consider - look attentively at"
You should.

But I fear you may not be able to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back