Adding a double socket near CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just after some advice regarding a socket near the CU in the hallway.

Im going to be moving my network equipment into the under stairs cupboard where the CU is located.

I want to add a double socket to power the equipment which will just be a modem and a network switch and perhaps a few items such as an av amplifier and sonos equipment which wont draw too much power.

I already have an empty space where old electric heaters were installed I plan to re-use the MCB which I think is a 20a ( I will double check)

What would be the best way in doing this? Can I come off the tails of the existing sockets and surface mount the cable to the double socket?

I would like to re-use the wiring that comes off the 20a to change it to a double socket - The wiring is 2.5mm t&e and I need to check if it supplied all 3 heaters. I will take some pictures to help verify.

I am aware adding a 20a will be notifiable under part p is that correct?

I have been quoted £60 for this to be installed and a test cert but I am wondering if at all possible I could do it myself?

Just asking what is involved in doing so.

EDIT: Its actually a 32a MCB that was pulled and disconnected from the CU would that mean he wired the heaters on a ring?

Sponsored Links
What would be the best way in doing this?
Get a competent electrician to do it!
Can I come off the tails of the existing sockets and surface mount the cable to the double socket?
You could but it would depend on what sort of circuit it was (ring or radial) and whether the socket you intend to use as the feed socket was a spur already or not!
I would like to re-use the wiring that comes off the 20a to change it to a double socket - The wiring is 2.5mm t&e and I need to check if it supplied all 3 heaters. I will take some pictures to help verify.
I don't really think a picture is going to help assess too much, it will need to be inspected and tested to confirm it is not still electrically connected to heaters and is suitable for alteration and continued service.
I am aware adding a 20a will be notifiable under part p is that correct?
Adding a new circuit would be
I have been quoted £60 for this to be installed and a test cert but I am wondering if at all possible I could do it myself?
£60.00 for installing, inspection and testing, commissioning and certs, sounds cheap enough to me. Likely the hiring of the test equipment could cost you that and then I doubt you would have the required knowledge on how to perform the tests and document the results (no disrespect!).
Then there is also the notification fee you will need to pay building controls for doing the work yourself!

Just asking what is involved in doing so.
The installation part would likely be relatively simple, but proving the installation is then safe would not be and that under part p is a legal requirement! And is not a simple plug in and play, everything works, so that's grand scenario!
EDIT: Its actually a 32a MCB that was pulled and disconnected from the CU would that mean he wired the heaters on a ring?
Could be either! What you do require for new socket is 30mA RCD protection, is this circuit covered by that? If not you need to introduce it at the point of any newly buried cable or if cable surface mounted at the socket outlet or alternatively at the point where the circuit begins.

Make sure the electrician can actually sign the work off and notify without any additional cost to building controls prior to employing them!
They need to be a member of a domestic scheme provider to do this!
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Cheers derry

yes it is protected by a 30ma RCD. I would like to pull them out altogether as I have access to them now but I would need to remove more floorboards than I would want to so will ask the electrician what can be done with them and if I could use the wiring to add sockets.

I will happily pay the £60 but I just wanted to learn the process of what the guy will do so I can ensure im happy with the work.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I will happily pay the £60 but I just wanted to learn the process of what the guy will do so I can ensure im happy with the work.

The process would be :
* document the characteristics of your supply and access whether this is suitable for alterations to be made to your existing installation
* if not satisfactory then recommendations on required work and upgrades will be made

If satisfactory then
* identify circuit
* isolate using safe isolation procedures and prove dead
* disconnect unwanted cable, remove as much as practical, then if any cable is left remaining leave safe, so it cannot be accidently re-energised.
* any cable to be reused but be inspected and tested for suitability and fit for continued service or new to be used
* The cable can be clipped direct or buried, if buried must comply to the permitted safe zones of buried cable.
* The socket should be mounted securely in an accessible position, and at a height where plug and flex of appliances cannot come under stress, recommend distance is no less than 150mm from centre of socket outlet to finished floor or worktop level.
* Once terminations to socket outlet have been made, a number of test can be performed, such continuity, dead polarity, insulation resistance, live polarity, Ze, Zs, PFC, RCD trip times and functional operation.
* These results would then need documenting and confirming as compliant
* During the installation, pre and post testing a visual inspection will also be made to confirm that that part also is compliant and those finding would be documented.
* If the installation is then deemed/proved satisfactory, an electrical installation certificate can be made ( this would be handed to you and a copy kept by the installer)
* The work would then be either notified by the installer to their scheme provider, who will then notify building controls or on the event that the installer is not able to self notify, then this application must be made prior to work starting and and the application/notification fee paid!
* A building controls certificate of compliance will then be sent to you
* During the period between commissioning and documents being delivered, you have hopefully handed over a well earned £60.00!

I think that about covers it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back