Single to double socket with alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a single socket in the old airing cupboard and would like to change to a double.

I presume this socket used to be the old immersion heater socket. It is on the green side of the CU and has its own breaker. Fully tested and working.

Directly wired into this socket is my house alarm. Can I swap the single socket for a double and wire the house alarm into the back as is the current position?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Although, the alarm cable may require a smaller fuse than, I assume, the 15/16A circuit.

So.. you'd be better fitting a DUAL box,
AP636.JPG

with the single socket one side and a fused connection unit on the other side.

Sponsored Links
If it's a 20A radial circuit on 2.5mm cable you can have a double socket and an FCU, as a standard crcuit configuration. The burglar alarm load is going to be insignificant anyway. The alarm really should be fused down though.

Panels are usually fused down to 2A, but if you tell us the panel we could let you know.

Best to fit a two gang box or pattress for your socket with a single adjacent for an FCU for the panel.

If it's a 20A radial circuit on 2.5mm cable you can have a double socket and an FCU, as a standard crcuit configuration.
If it's a 20A radial circuit on 2.5mm cable he can have as many sockets and FCUs as he likes.

Limited by the floor area served by the circuit, of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back