New CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice.

Had the CU upgraded to 17th edition as part of loft conversion, all been signed off and BC cert has arrived.

Have a question on power sockets, the sockets are all under 32A MCB'S, i just noticed it now, is this ok? I though its normally 16A/20A MCB'S?

Sponsored Links
Perfectly fine if they are ring circuits, which is most likely, but I can't tell from here.

Not fine if they are radial circuits, which is less likely, but again, I can't tell from here.

Had the CU upgraded to 17th edition as part of loft conversion
So, the work was notified and certified?
Therefore you have a copy of the installation certificate?
This will tell you if the circuit has been configured as a ring.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
It might be.

Or it might not be.
True. But as a blanket statement like that, it's incorrect.

For the benefit of the OP, if they are radials wired in >4mm² cable, they're fine on a 32A OPD. If the cable is <4mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.

It might be.

Or it might not be.
True. But as a blanket statement like that, it's incorrect.

For the benefit of the OP, if they are radials wired in >4mm² cable, they're fine on a 32A OPD. If the cable is <4mm², and it's a radial on a 32A MCB, that is indeed, not fine.

Seeing as we're splitting hairs....

Not fine, in that it might need some consideration as to whether the cable size is adequate for the OPCD.

What considerations would make a 2.5mm² cable adequate for a socket radial on a 32A device?

What considerations would make a 2.5mm² cable adequate for a socket radial on a 32A device?

The OP would need to consider whether the cable size as installed is less than 4mm or is at least 4mm.

The OP might also like to consider whether the circuit is a ring or a radial.

"Consider - look attentively at"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back