New Damaged Engineering Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having built a 1/2 brick outbuilding.

I've just purchased a load of new Class B Red Engineering Bricks (TH068).

They are perforated with 10 small holes.

About 10% of them are damaged :cry: . The main damage is cracks from the holes radiating to the back edge (opposite face). Is this normal and what has caused it, I'm worried the rest may fail in the same way in future :?:

Can these be used elsewhere in the project :?:

Also some bricks have knics and bits flaked off the face, can these be used where they won't be seen, will they be ok in a frost :?:

Or is it best to not use any damaged ones and get some more :?:

Hope someone can help with these questions, I know nothing about brick and if this sort of damage is normal.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
..isn`t the clue in the words describing them as "class B" ???

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really help me. As I mentioned, I don't know anything about bricks, my builder ordered them.

I've just read the difference in class A & B is just strength and moisture resistance levels. These are still new and I would of though they shouldn't be damage, apart from damaged in transit/packing etc.

Hope someone can answer my original questions, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the World of Building :rolleyes: Damage to ANY thing from a merchant is par for the course :eek: Let alone the Gonzo`s behind the counters FFS :evil: No wonder Screwfix and other online store do so well :idea:

isnt it the norm to add 10% for wastage when it comes to building materials?

I guess it may not be usual, but what would be the reaction if they were returned as damaged and not up to standard ?

Presumably you didn't order damaged/cracked bricks and if the company publishes any literature, the photos will not show cracked bricks, so I think you could complain and ask for what they advertise.

There may of course be deep-buried get-out clauses in their T+C but you will have to chance that.

It's not terribly similar but once , at a motorway services , I asked for a refund after being served a lump of gristle that looked nothing like the steak picture on the "menu"

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really help me.

I've just read the difference in class A & B is just strength and moisture resistance levels. These are still new and I would of though they shouldn't be damage, apart from damaged in transit/packing etc.

Hope someone can answer my original questions, thanks in advance.

You are one hundred percent correct, the difference in Class A & B is strength and moisture resistance levels.
Bricks should be reasonably free from deep or excessive cracks and damage to edges or corners.
You have got to expect a few chipped ones, but ten per cent waste is not acceptable.
Sounds like bad mix, or problem in kiln.
If you are paying builder, tell him you do not want them used, then it is his problem, If you are paying merchant, complain to them, push them hard enough and they will change damaged ones.
oldun

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Just back from hols, managed to get them to change the cracked ones, they were on the drive when I came back, they also left the one ones, thanks oldun , it worked :!: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back