New decking treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just built the frame for a raised decking area and am ready to put the boards on.... the boards are 150mm treated softwood from a local timber yard. Was after a bit of advice... I am going to treat the ends with end grain preserver, the tins say it is green, can't find one that says clear? Will it stain it green?
Reading other threads it would seem that decking oil is the best bet? How long does the decking need to be down before treating it with the oil? Are the 'oils' much he same, ie is the Screwfix No Nonense one any good, someone has given me a brand new tin unopened and will use it unless advised otherwise!!
Thanks in advance for any answers/help, it's my first attempt at decking, so any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it will stain green if that's what the tin says!

I always use creocote (creosote substitute) which comes in either light or dark. Others swear by decking oil.
Treat cut ends as soon after they're cut as you can, assuming they're dry, and you can apply the decking treatment whenever you like. I do mine once a year.
If you have some treatment already I'd apply a bit to some offcuts and see what you thin k of it.

Sponsored Links
so they are tanalised, so using green endgrain preserver will coat the end grain in the same stuff thats on the face so will dry same colour

if you was to use clear you will see a green board with white wood ends

cheers speed... i'll make sure i treat the ends.. would you recommend using oil straight away or leaving it for a while first and oiling it at the end of the the summer say?

i personly wait at leased a few weeks

the timber is usually moist whilst its stacked in the timber yard so letting it dry will allow oil to soak in better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back