New Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace an existing two gang light switch with a dimmer. Unfortunately my brother-in-law in his wisdom decided he would disconnect the existing switch without making a note of where the cables go. All he knows is that in the existing switch there was a small cable going from COMMON in one switch directly to COMMON in the other switch.

The dimmer has the Common which is OK, I know where that goes. The existing cables (two of them) have both black and red in them. I am a little confused as to where to place these cables in the new dimmer. Do I place one pair of cables in L1 and L2 i.e. Red of one pair in L1 and the black of the same cable in L2 and then the other cable (Red and Black) in the other L1 and L2 OR do I place both Reds in each of the L1 and both black in each of the L2. Oh forgot to mention also he did seem to think that in the existing switch one of the blacks was not connected to anything.

Sorry for the confusion but it is driving me mad and any help anyone could give me would be very greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the 2 reds need to connect to COMs, linked together.

The blacks go to the 2 L1s. ;)

If the new switch is metal, it MUST be earthed.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Will give it a go next time I am over there which is probably at the weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back