New Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling light and 2 wall lights. At each end of the room are 2 switches for each light. I want to replace them with dimmers. The dimmers are remotely controlled. 1 is a master and 1 is a slave. The 1st existing switch has blue/red/yellow wires and earths. The terminals are marked L1, L2 and L3 in both existing switches. The 2nd existing switch has multiple wires. The same terminals L1, L2 and L3 but there are so many wires going in, Im not sure exactly what to do. The new dimmers are not marked L1, L2 and L3, they are marked Live, S and an arrow through a wavy line. I think I can do it but Im not convinced I will get it right. There are so many wires going into the second existing switch, I really have no idea what they're all for. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are loads of posts about these type of dimmer switches just do a search.....

Thanks. Tried searching and having read nearly everything about dimmers, Im still none the wiser. The slave dimmer I can wire in. The master is the problem. The existing switch has 5 cables going in. 2 of them are red, black and earth. The others are red, blue, yellow and earth. The switch only has blue, yellow and red wires going into the connections. It would take me for ever to explain where they all go. Basically the existing switch has L1 L2 and L3 terminals. My new dimmers have Live, S and the arrow symbol. If anyone can tell me to just put the wires from L1 into Live or whatever i'll try it. Or maybe I should just get an electrician in?? Id rather do it myself but it looks a bit complicated. Any ideas??

yes read the instructions for your dimmer

the 3 core and earth that you have only goes from one switch to the other
as the drawing below shows

2way-switching.gif

there is no g'tee as to which does what but they do go from one switch to the other

Sponsored Links
You need to understand the following.OK
There is a 2 core + earth cable at the master switch position only. There is a 3 core + earth cable running between the two switches.Your new master must at the position where there are five wires and the slave where there are 3 wires.
Now the wiring bit.
Start with slave switch (3 wires) red to L yellow to S blue to 'wave with arrow'. At the master you do the same red to L yellow to S blue to 'wave with arrow'
That leaves the red and black wires from the 2 core cable. The red goes to L (where there is already a red ) The black goes to 'wave with arrow' (where there is already a blue)
Hope it helps
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back