New door locks - key sharing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just moved into a new home and want to replace the 5-lever locks on the front and back door.

Does anyone know if I can buy two locks that use the same key so I can lock/unlock both doors with the same key?

Ta

Simon

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can. They have to be the same brand and similar (not necessarily identical) locks. You have to get them from a lock service centre, not a DIY shop.

I've had my Chubb back doors (3 of them) suited to the same key. 1 x 3K74 and 2 x 3G114. The main back door is a sash lock (has a handle/latch). Front doors usually are deadlocks without a latch. This is a typical good quality lock, if you have a bit of cash to spare you can buy much more expensive or suited locks. Get all the spare keys you want done at the same time. You may be able to negotiate a discount on spare keys. If you lose a key you can get the agent to supply or fit new sets of levers and keys instead of buying whole new locks.

Be sure to get BS 3621-2004 locks with the latest larger 20mm bolt throw. If you buy an own-brand lock and it has the BS it will probably be almost as good as a major brand. The Chubbs now have a 15-year guarantee and I have some older than that. Cheaper brands sometimes suffer from internal rust or broken springs.

Sometimes you can get a Legge or a Yale pair of locks, suited, in a DIY shed, in a pre-pack.

It is also possible sometimes to buy sets of levers or detainers with keys to suit if you like tinkering.

If you like Eurocylinder locks (I don't) you can buy sets of cylinders e.g. from Screwfix and swap them yourself.

It is usual to have some kind of self-latching rimlock on the front door as well as the mortice lock, and rack bolts top and bottom on the back door, for increased burglar resistance. You can get self-latching deadlocking mortice locks but they are very expensive.

Thanks JohnD for a great reply.

Off to find my local lock service centre!

Cheers

Simon

Lock Service Centre - Is that a new term for a Locksmith ?

Pop into your local Locksmiths and tell them what you're after (Keyed Alike locks). If the current locks have a name on the faceplate - this will help the locksmith determine a near fit to minimise the amount of chopping you'll need to do. Also tell them if it's a 2.5" or 3.0" lock.

Sponsored Links
pull the old one out and measure it.

If no old one, measure the stile of the door. It must be wider than the lock.

Hi HandyHands,

Thanks for the link - however, they don't appear to be keyed alike?

Budget isn't really an issue either.

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back