New Doorway In Supporting Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking at feasibility of a garage conversion, prior to requesting planning permission and obtaining quotes if I can't do the work myself.

Please could you offer some advice regarding creation of doorway through from my garage into the study?
The wall is load bearing - breeze blocks on the garage side.

How is the lintel insertion done? Can I cut a hole for the lintel and insert it without supporting the wall first, prior to cutting out the doorway?

Is this a job for a DIY er?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
I've just made a door way into the garage but I got two guys to do it in the end - they used one acrow supporting the beam below the front bedroom in the stairwell and carefully removed a single row of bricks where the lintel was due to go.There was no other support.

I've also done two lintels above two windows in the garage (7ft. & 8ft.) for which I used two Strongboys (one every 3ft. recommended) obviously inserting them into the wall before taking out the old lintel.

Hope it helps

Northender

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back