Type of Lintel for Doorway into Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to put in a doorway from the hall through into the garage.

What sort of Lintel do I use. Concrete or RSJ?

1. Wall is load bearing - 2 storey
2. Doorway is standard width.
3. Wall is double skinned and looks to construct of Breeze block and concrete block.

So I guess a lintel of ?
1200 Length
230 Thickness (Due to double skinned wall)
150 Width

If concrete should I use 2 x 100 thickness, since standard thickness look to be 100mm?

Sponsored Links
2off 100x140 concrete lintels (cheapest) or 1 off Catnic (More expensive but light to handle)

Sponsored Links
Use a piece of 9x3 timber, laid flat; you might be able to get a small offcut at the local timber yard.
The weight the lintel will be carrying is not that much -it will be a small triangle of brickwork.
Timber is light and easy to fix, and also easy to apply packing and plasterboard etc.

Now we know where the 1851 comes from. :p :LOL:

....you kill me, you really do.......

There's absoulutely nothing wrong with using timber lintels for small, doorway-width openings in load-bearing walls.
This holds for alterations in existing properties and new-build.
Most houses up to 1939 used timber lintels internally; it was only the restrictions on timber use after the War which led to the use of concrete and, later, steel.
We just need a bit of imagination here!

....you kill me, you really do.......

Thank you, thank you. Ill be here all week.
TcwNh.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back