New dormers are wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

I'm having a complete renovation of my bungalow and converting the attic. As part of this a new roof and dormers. Long storey short it started in July and had dormers built but not sealed tight. Fast forward to October and the tiled roof went on but the ply cheeks remained exposed. This wasn't a massive concern but about a month ago they put a breathable membrane on the cheeks to make it water resistant until the cladding went on. I've just noticed the ply is wet to the touch inside and starting to go black. This seems due to be caused by the membrane not being tucked in well at the tops so water has been getting in on the inside of the membrane so imagine it having the membrane on is making it worse.

My builder has recently come back after a long absense, took one look and said its fine and I can start insulating between the studs but i'm worried. What is the best course of action? Does it all need drying and the black removing or can I just get the cladding put on and it will dry at some point?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It depends if its a leak or condensation.

Obviously any leaking membrane will need to be sorted before you continue with the internal works.

For condensation, you need to heat the area up and ventilate it to dry the timbers and prevent any moisture being trapped when you apply the internal works.

Probably depends on the quality of the plywood. If it is cheap ply or worse OSB and it has been wet for 4 months it could well be starting to delaminate.

Sponsored Links
You don't leave laminated timber exposed to the elements unless you are looking for problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back