New double garage lavelling Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just building a new double garage, 26 ft long x 19 ft wide, built in block to the side door height and one more block level to be laid before the back and front are constructed to the roof trusses.
The problem I have is that I have checked the levels with a good (borowed) laser and the right hand side wall is just over quarter of an inch higher than the right hand side for the first eight blocks (showing level with spirit level), not the entire wall. Firstly is this an acceptable tolerance , and secondly over the distance will this be really noticed.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
I don't fully follow where your levels are out. But if it's only a quarter inch, I imagine that the wall plate would easily take that up with a little chocking.

If you look at your spirit level it will have an accuracy printed on it. Good quality ones (stabilia) usually are acurate to 0.5mm to the meter.

Cheap(stanley and draper) are 1.0mm to the meter.

If i have read correctly what you are saying the total run is 19 feet around 6 meters. If using a cheap level that equates to about 6.0mm that equates to around 1/4 of an inch (within tolerance)

Sounds ok to me. if using a stabilia, then your 3mm out of tolerance. Pat yourself on the back and get down the pub and get em in..

If however you mean that the 6mm or so is where you have built up the corners and are now meeting in the middle, then im afraid YES it will be noticable if its in brick but block will be more forgiving. Knock a few blocks out and try to loose the 6mm in the gauge.

picture would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
you will be able to level up the plates with mortar.

if you are having a standard gable roof, then it will make little difference if the wall plates aren't exactly level with each other. so long as each individual plate is level in its own right.

it is more important to make them parallel, especially so for those building a standard cut roof.

Thanks for the advice

To explain myself a little better, along the 26ft wall, the wall rises gradually over the distance so it is quarter of an inch higher at the front than the back. Used a Stabilla level.

Regards

Ian

Ian,

6mm over 26ft is nothing to worry about. In fact thats pretty damb impressive mate. As noseall says, main concern is that the walls are parallel with each other, otherwise the tiles would look rather odd once the roof had been cut.

If you are using trusses and your walls were not parellel, then you may find they will be either short or long depending where you took your measurement from when ordering.

If its a flat roof then don't worry about it. There is no way anyone even a trained eye is going to notice a 6mm variation over 26 feet no mater what roof you choose.

If i where you, I wouldn't even try to make up the 6mm. It will probably cause you more hastle than its worth. Most people bed the wall plate on motar, but to be honest i don't. I always ensure the cavity closure brickwork is spot on then bed the wall plate on a strip of DPM

If its a single skin structure then ensure your last course of brickwork is nice and flat and you shouldn't have any problems.

good luck mate.

Piccie would still be nice though. Its always nice to see peoples DIY work.

Thanks

I will be using metal tile effect sheets for the roof covering so shouldnt be a problem, I have not ordered roof trusses yet but there is a 5mm difference in width between front and back over the distance. I will post pics later

Regards

Ian

Ian,

don't worry about the odd few MM. If there was 12" difference then that would pose problems.

even a good few inches out of parallel over 26 feet wouldn't really be noticable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back