New Double Glazing options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im havin new windows put in with C rated glass as standard. Is it worth the extra cost to have the A rated glass?

Also theres an option of laminated glass which isnt cheap but more secure against break ins. Can I not just buy bomb proof film and apply? Also would the weight be too much for french doors, they are quite wide as it is.

And finally are chrome handles classy or naff, is white more the norm?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother, the benefit of 'A' rated glass will be negated by having it fitted to a 'C' rated frame, you'll also get condensation or dew forming on the outside as a side effect of 'A' rated glass, it will go as the day warms up but will be there in the mornings.

Laminated is a good idea but is heavy as you say, maybe just have the outer pane laminated? Clear film will cloud over time and will scratch.

IMO chrome handles look naff but each to their own i guess ;)

Thanks for the advice, not sure if its the whole frame or not, probably just the glass. Yes I'll enquire about the laminate on one side of the panes.

Re: the chrome handles, I was thinking that in my mind too, they also do black period ones that are curved and a rougher look, the white ones are just smooth and more plain. Also the black ones are not key locked only with a hex type key. Would this matter?

Wouldn't matter to me, you probably take the keys out and store them in a little saucer somewhere so whether its a key or an allen key is the same difference

Sponsored Links
Yes thats true, well Id better get my cheque book out if I go for the period black handles. Extra £76 a set!

Even if you were to purchase an A rated window you may not be benefiting at all. An A rated window will have an equal balance between the amount of heat it loses compared against the amount of heat it lets through. A window on the north side of your house will therefore not perform to an A standard.

I think it's madness. The time of the year that you have your heating on is the time of the year you will not be benefiting from the solar gain and in my opinion makes the heat loss the most important factor.

Also why in the summer would you want to be letting in more heat meaning that you have to use fans, air-conditioners more than you normally would resulting in higher energy usage?

It's just another way for Fensa & BFRC to make money and make it look like they're actually doing something!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back