New double socket in garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everyone out there!

I have a rcd single socket in my garage and it is the same size as a double socket.
The button on the rcd does not lock in on position - it is just springy however it does actually work intermittantly. Today I was plugging in an extension reel, which was very difficult (tight) to plug in and the rcd protecting d/st sockets tripped. (Fusebox under stairs in house)
I have a few questions:

1) Can I discard rcd socket and fit double socket as I already have rcd in fusebox?

2) Would this be safe using power tools from new double socket?

3) The light switch in the garage is taken from back of socket- is this usual-and safe? Also is it usual for garage socket to be on house ring main like this?

Many thanks in advance

:D [/b]

Sponsored Links
If the socket is already protected by a 30mA RCD then no need for an RCD socket. It is quite normal (although not ideal) for a garage socket to be on the house socket circuit.
The garage lighting should not be fed from the socket circuit unless there is some fusing down due to a reduction in cable size. Is there not a fused or switched fused connection unit in place also ?

Hi Ricycle and thanks for reply

There is no FCU in garage just rcd socket feeding light switch feeding 1 bulb.
I do have a crabtree FCU with appliance marked in writing - will this do if I put a 3 amp fuse in it?

TIA

Sponsored Links
It will be ok as long as you follow the marks correctly on the back of the FCU. Any problems come back :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back