RCD Double Socket - Pond Fountain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a small POND (!?!!!!) and I was thinking of installing a fountain (yes, I know what you're thinking) to amuse myself, but in particular HIDoors.

I am thinking about how to power up this unit. My garage has a fusebox in it which has two fuses. One covers lighting, the other covers a double socket.

I realise that under the 17th Edition, this a special location and has to be RCD protected.

The question is 1) Should I change the fuse box in the garage so that both circuits are RCD protected and add a separate circuit to cover the pond circuit ? It seems a rather expensive option.

OR 2) Should I spur a separate double RCD protected socket (which I saw in FOCUS recently) from the original double socket ? Would this be safe and compliant with 17th Edition.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
As well as installing this properly, this is notifiable work under building Regulations Part P.

Do read //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

You have two choices. Notify the local authority and do the work yourself (could be expensive as they charge a decent sized fee and you'd need to know all the regs and have all of the proper calibrated test gear).
or
get a registered electrician to do it for you. He will deal with the legalities.
Find one at www.competentperson.co.uk

Thanks for your information.

When I bought the pump, the supplier also sells a wiring package which states that it is 17th edition compliant, but it states that it is legal and focuses on a DIYer. Surely under these conditions, it would then not be notifiable ?

Regards

I'd need to know what is in the FOCUS package.

If its this one http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/217763 then its an RCD plug, a length of cable and a double socket on the end.
You plug it into an existing socket and (because you have not changed any FIXED wiring) its just an extension lead. its not meant to be permanent - the cable is not protected in any way.

In your post you have said things like
Should I change the fuse box in the garage so that both circuits are RCD protected

and
Should I spur a separate double RCD protected socket

These are all changes to the fixed wiring and are covered by large dollops of legislation.

Sponsored Links
I understand what you mean.

However, Focus's product is a double socket and looks like an ordinary double socket that you would find in any house when you first buy/rent/ or indeed squat in. In other words, no extension lead or usual separate plug into socket appliance. Just an ordinary double socket that you would see in any wall and would consider normal.

regards

Hi again,

Just looked at your Focus web page. Definitely NOT that. I think what I saw was MP NEXUS SOCKET, SWITCHED 2 GANG WITH BUILT IN RCD. No picture, unfortunately, but looked about right price.

Regards

In that case you need to follow my guidance re how (and if) you can do this.

Due to overhead of going the local authority route i suggest you get a registered spark in.

Also, just because something plugs in does not mean it automatically isn't part of the fixed install. If it's permanent (which by the sound of it this would be), then it would still be notifiable under Part P...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back