New drain problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago, I replaced a gully on my house with some help from you guys, and it working a treat. There is another one now, I thought it might be the same problem, or perhaps just nblocked. But I'm stumped. A down pipe goes to a gully, but the 90 degree bend doesn't actually lead to anything??

The way I see it, I could dig it all up, try and join the drains. With this option, it would mean digging more floor space up to find this drain, and at initial inspection there appears to be none.

Or, I could rip it out and fill it in, as it appears to lead nowhere, and I believe it was just a quick job on the extension. Doing this, clearly I would have to remove the down pipe, and run the guttering the other drain (as seen in picture?).
IMG_20170401_173144.jpg
here, the fantastic pipe I've been unblocking for a day, leading to nothing. Got a bit suspicious after a while.

IMG_20170401_173157.jpg
Here, you can see the false one, in correlation to where a functioning one is. I've had a dig around and been unable to find any adjacent drains.

IMG_20170401_173217.jpg
On the left you can see the guttering, and the right another drain. I am thinking run the guttering along and join them? Not sure if its up to building regulations but my immediate concern is the dark/moss forming around the gully, and I would ideally like not to have any more rainfall while it is like that.

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Odd, did you have the extension built or was it already up when you bought the property? Looks to me like they've put the hopper in to make it look like drainage was provided, and just not bothered to connect it! Can you run a pipe from the gulley that does work and join it up?

It was built about 10 years ago by the owners son, we bought it about 6 months ago maybe a bit more, so just sorting it out. I've already done one of these gullies. I could do another drain and try to connect it, but really, I'm not sure which way they are running, and how I'll connect it all up. And unfortunately I have limited time within the weekend to do it. I would like to do a drain, but would a gutter work?

A gutter would work or it might be easier to adjust the down pipe to run to the proper gully. That could be done over the window or under it nearer the floor and be hidden with a bench and a plant pot or whatever.

Sponsored Links
Change the downpipe to round - get an adapter on the gutter outlet - run it to the gulley as Ian Has suggested(y) Just don't struggle with that square stuff.

I was under the impression downpipes had to run vertical? If not, could I just bring it round and under the window? Won't look fantastic but can find I way to conceal when I start doing the garden in 2048.

They can run horizontal ish but with a fall . In 2048 I will be horizontal and 6 feet underground :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back