New Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to have a kitchen extension built and need to renew the drains to move the guttering downpipe / gulley and soil pipe (otherwise they'd be in the middle of the extension).

I've already dug out the existing drains and am going to replace them myself to keep the costs down. However, i could do with some advice on the new pipework. basically, i need to know if i can i get away with having a 90 degree bend as shown in the second picture below.

Also, can i tap into the downpipe for my kitchen & bathroom wastes (both on the back wall) or will i need to get a rear entry gulley and run them alongside the downpipe?

Thanks

Craig

Current.jpg

Proposed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can have a 90 bend but it's best to have it in an inspection chamber, or fit a rodding point by it. You will probably find the building inspector will want one or the other fitting, best plan is to ask him what he wants before you start fitting things.

Unless you can access the run from the other end to clear potential blockages (& it doesn’t’ look like it!) then the answer is no! BR’s will only allow 1 x 45 degree bend & you will have to terminate at an inspection cover or provide a roding point.

I don’t know your location or local circumstances but most local authorities these days no longer allow drainage of surface water thought the foul/surface drain system unless there is no other option, you may need to provide a new soak away; check with your LABC.

Sponsored Links
There should be a manhole at every change of direction in the drain, the proposed layout needs to be discussed with Building Control who will advise on what they want to see. (Failure to follow their advice could result in the work not being signed off.) Basically every point of the drain needs to be accessible for rodding should a blockage occur.

I doubt Building Control will allow rain water into the foul sewer either. Unsure as to your exisiting roof drainage arrangements, but they could well insist on a soakaway for the extension roof run off at the very least. Assuming then you were permitted to run the downpipe into the gulley, there is no satisfactory method of connecting wastes into a downpipe. The practice of waste pipes discharging into a hopper was banned some years ago. Ideally I would think they'd be better going into a stack, if not then the wastes would need to be dropped seperately from the downpipe, into the gulley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back