New Drayton rad valves leaking. Faulty or not?

Out of interest what colour should the water be in a central heating system?

Mine has always come out pee coloured. Like when you're dehydrated - kind of a straw yellow. I guess black is bad but I would've also thought totally clear wouldn't happen either so thought I best ask.

Sponsored Links
Right well I cleared all the air out of the system (heating was on while I did it if this makes a difference) & the bar on the boiler said about 1.4-1.5ish.

Get up this morning - again no signs of leaks. Check boiler & it's about 1.2.

Was services a few month ago. Why may it be dropping pressure when there's no water collecting in the catch trays (which are snug around the pipework on the TRV - those plumb tub things)?

It also seems to happen only through the night. Not through the day in case that makes a difference.

System pressure will be higher when the system is hot and will reduce as the system cools.

You shouldn't be venting the system when it is hot or running as you won't get effective results. Venting should be done cold and with the system off.

If system is at 1.2 bar at half 7 this morning leave the boiler off for a while and report what pressure it is reading at say 12. You need the system off as this will give you a consistent reading.

If the pressure has dropped. Top the pressure up and isolate the boiler using the valves underneath and repeat for the same amount of time. If you still have a pressure drop you have a problem with the boiler if the pressure has remained constant the the fault lies with the system.

Report back your findings.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Did exactly what you said & it sorted things out. Pressure remained constant, thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back