New Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're considering how to revamp our drive for not a lot of cash, it's currently tarmac one side and paving slabs the other, we know someone who could tarmac the whole drive and we were thinking of having something like a brick edge all the way round the drive.

Problem is the guy who would do the tarmac wouldn't get involved with the bricks so I'm wondering if its something I could do myself and get him to tarmac in the middle.

Would you concrete the bricks in place or bed them into sand?
What sort of brick would be best, or would block paving be better?

Worst problem for me would be having to dig up the old tarmac but I guess I could get the tarmac guy to lift the old layer then I could add the boarder and get him back to fill it in

Sponsored Links
I have framed my drive with solid staffy blue best.

Mine are laid flat and jointed with mortar. They are laid on a bed of mortar on a 100mm concrete 'kerb race'.

Call me lazy, but I do not especially like maintenance so i have gone for a method that allows no joints whatsoever, unlike tarmac drives that are framed with block paving or block paved drives for that matter.

The problem with block paving is the joints. In areas of low traffic, build up of moss weeds etc, is prolific after a couple of years. I watch my elderly neighbours scrape the joints with pointed implements and it is painstaking and lengthy.

Not a job for this chicken!

Thanks, been thinking of getting the tarmac lifted and edging the drive with bricks but rather then tarmac use gravel.

On the area where there are just paving slabs I assume I'd need to lay 100mm deep hard core, wack it, then lay the gravel?

What would I need to do with the tarmac side, I believe tarmac is laid in layers and assume both layers would need to come up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back