New driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good morning I’m looking to install a driveway in the spring in the front of my property it’s all currently grass and approx 40sqm I’m trying to do it so I don’t have to go through the planning process. I’m thinking about block paving half and gravelling the other half would I get away with directing the water from the block paving to the gravel side of the garden I don’t want to install a soakaway as it’s make up is clay so wouldn’t really work any advice would be appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to direct the water anywhere off block paving, it's classed as a permeable surface but yes you could run it into the gravel fine

Black paving isn’t classed as permeable paving unless permeable blocks are used im referring to standard block paving thanks

And what does all this water run off do when it runs in to the edge of the gravel?

Sponsored Links
Into the ground as far as anybody is aware but I will put a field drain in and pipe it into my combined sewer

sounds like you've already decided. Hope you dont have nosey neighbours, or ones you dont trust.

What would be the worst that could happen if I went ahead and done this

Dig what up the drive or the drain? Surely not as water has to go somewhere

Not if it was always there I can’t be prosecuted would be hard to prove I put it there. Surely my land I’m already paying for surface water on the sewerage water bill no extra harm done

Not if it was always there I can’t be prosecuted would be hard to prove I put it there. Surely my land I’m already paying for surface water on the sewerage water bill no extra harm done
You get prosecuted for the connection to the public drains, not the land drain

Yeah I understand that but if it’s already combined is this going to be a issue. Also how can they prove the pipe wasnt installled before I moved in?

Yeah I understand that but if it’s already combined is this going to be a issue. Also how can they prove the pipe wasnt installled before I moved in?
Your proposed drain new connection is not already there!

If I see a new connection on a survey I'd recommend further enquiries to protect the potential buyer.

Yes but because I’ve just bought the house how does anybody know it wasn’t already there wink wink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back