New driveway

It makes no odds. You take responsibility once you buy the house.

Which is why the next people to buy it may not be so enthusiastic to take on any risk

Sponsored Links
Never had a r drain lifted on a survey al take the chance saves on a waterlogged garden thanks pal

My personal concern would be the other way round, if there's heavy rain and everyone has done the same, it'll all come out the other way. In last year's heavy rain our"combined" inspection cover popped out and flooded plenty of water of dubious cleanliness back the other way into our garden.
Ideally the water should be dealt with in the same way it was before the drains were installed, ie going into the ground.
This reduces flooding, and helps groundwater recharge meaning things are more sustainable all round. It also makes it less likely for pollution into the rivers and seas. But that's more for people interested in collective responsibility.

Yeah Thanks for that John I understand and appreciate your view I appreciate what you are saying but I believe the gravel will work to some extent then the drainage within will take excess to the combined sewer then away to the treatment works with the sewerage so no issues with causing any pollution to river etc

Sponsored Links
Yeah Thanks for that John I understand and appreciate your view I appreciate what you are saying but I believe the gravel will work to some extent then the drainage within will take excess to the combined sewer then away to the treatment works with the sewerage so no issues with causing any pollution to river etc
Fair enough but just to clarify, if you have a combined sewer it means the rainwater goes to the treatment works but since they can't usually handle a huge volume of rainwater, they basically have to chuck it all either in the sea or the river every time there's a decent rainfall. If it was only rainwater that would be ok, but the rainwater is flushing all the untreated sewage through into the river as well.
Where we live the problem is quite bad hence it making more sense for us to drain into a small depression in the garden.
Hope that makes sense although it may not change your view. Cheers, John

Just to clarify the sewerage works don’t Chuck the untreated sewerage into the river or sea under any circumstances they have holding tanks for this to allow it all to go through the process, raw sewerage into the river or sea would incur substantial fine from the EA

Just to clarify the sewerage works don’t Chuck the untreated sewerage into the river or sea under any circumstances

yes they do.

example

"In giving his sentence, the Honourable Mr Justice Johnson said:

Each of the 51 offences seen in isolation shows a shocking and wholesale disregard for the environment, for the precious and delicate ecosytems along the North Kent and Solent coastlines, for human health, and for the fisheries and other legitimate businesses that depend on the vitality of the coastal waters.

Each offence does not stand in isolation. It is necessary to sentence the company for the totality of the offences to which it has pleaded guilty. But even that does not reflect the defendant’s criminality. That is because the offences are aggravated by its previous persistent pollution of the environment over very many years.

Southern Water charges its customers for treating wastewater and is required by permit to properly treat wastewater so as to protect the environment. Instead, the court heard SWS admit to causing 6,971 illegal discharges over the offending period (2010-2015), which lasted a total of 61,704 hours, the equivalent of 2,571 days or just over seven years."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-90m-fine-for-southern-water-following-ea-prosecution

chichester https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/p...ern-water-dumping-sewage-into-the-sea-3433254

hastings https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/...leak-at-bulverhythe-beach-in-pictures-3354940

Pagham, Aldwick, Bognor Regis, Felpham and Littlehampton. https://www.bognor.co.uk/news/people/southern-water-dumps-sewage-along-several-arun-beaches-3440653

Hayling https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/p...sailing-clubs-to-blast-southern-water-3152327

Botany Bay, Joss Bay, Kingsgate Bay, Stone Bay and Viking Bay https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet...-not-to-enter-sea-after-waste-release-255146/

Boris' Tory government whipped its MPs to vote against the "Wellington Amendment" which attempted to lay a mild responsibility on water companies to clean up their act (and our beaches); and the government to eforce it.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...s-tory-mps-to-defend-decision-on-social-media

"In Clause 80, Page 74, line 34
at end insert—

“141ZA Duty on sewerage undertakers to take all reasonable steps to ensure untreated sewage is not discharged from storm overflows

(1) A sewerage undertaker must demonstrate improvements in the sewerage systems and progressive reductions in the harm caused by untreated sewage discharges.

(2) The Secretary of State, the Director and the Environment Agency must exercise their respective functions under this and any other Act to secure compliance with this duty.”

#Tory Sewage

Fair enough but just to clarify, if you have a combined sewer it means the rainwater goes to the treatment works but since they can't usually handle a huge volume of rainwater, they basically have to chuck it all either in the sea or the river every time there's a decent rainfall. If it was only rainwater that would be ok, but the rainwater is flushing all the untreated sewage through into the river as well.
Where we live the problem is quite bad hence it making more sense for us to drain into a small depression in the garden.
Hope that makes sense although it may not change your view. Cheers, John

We live at the original, higher part of the village, where the church was built. Newer homes were built at lower levels. The newer homes suffer frequent floods, when the sewers fail to cope. Despite this they have allowed even more homes to be built as infill between us and the now less new homes. Flooding is such a problem in wet weather, that they have formed a flood committee.

Let’s just get back to the point here I’m on about draining 20sqm of driveway to a 25sqm gravel area which will take most of the water and excess will run away down drain I’m not talking of draining a swimming pool

Let’s just get back to the point here I’m on about draining 20sqm of driveway to a 25sqm gravel area which will take most of the water and excess will run away down drain I’m not talking of draining a swimming pool

You've already been told multiple times it's unlawful for you to do so. You've also said you're going to do it anyway.

Instead of trying to get validation on a public forum, why don't you just quietly get on with it and hope that no-one notices? Not sure what you're expecting people here to say to try and put your mind at ease.

I know it's not of interest to you but replying for others' benefit.
It's not the quantity that's the problem, it's the timing. It will be at the same time everyone else's 20sqm extra driveway is draining. With 30mm/h rain that would be 10litres per minute per house once the ground is saturated.
So for an small town of a few thousand houses that's already getting to 1m3 per second which is essentially impossible to deal with centrally without chucking it in a river or sea (hence it needs to be soaked into the ground at source)

You've already been told multiple times it's unlawful for you to do so. You've also said you're going to do it anyway.

Instead of trying to get validation on a public forum, why don't you just quietly get on with it and hope that no-one notices? Not sure what you're expecting people here to say to try and put your mind at ease.

Arrogant, opinionated and argumentative. Probably like this off social media too. Happy New Year to all who help contribute to this great source of information site, and ensure that we can all save some time and money, whilst doing the requested task as it should be done.

There’s no arrogance or arguments in the post opinion yes as we all allowed one. Have a nice day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back