New electric cooker - Novice questions :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Just a couple of questions for you experts out there.

I recently bought a new electric cooker but notice that it doesn't appear to have a cable coming out of it so that I can hook it up. However, at the back of the unit there is a metal plate which unscrews to show several spade connectors - ie. red - live, black - earth etc.

My old cooker has a thick white wire coming out of the back of it which plugs into a socket on the wall (it looks like an ordinary plug socket but its sealed). On the wall I also have a red switch which I presume is the mains switch for the oven, am I right? I hope you're still with me??

Finally my question is: Can I detach the thick white cable coming from my old cooker and connect it to the spade connectors under the metal plate on my new one? I presume the thick white cable contains the red, black and neutral wires which I can hopefully connect to my new cooker?

Does this sound possible? Sorry to ramble on but I don't want to end up making myself crispy and blowing up the house!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Davo :oops:

Sponsored Links
Davo71 said:
I recently bought a new electric cooker but notice that it doesn't appear to have a cable coming out of it so that I can hook it up. However, at the back of the unit there is a metal plate which unscrews to show several spade connectors - ie. red - live, black - earth etc.
Black is not earth, black is neutral. Do not connect the neutral cable to the earth of the cooker and vice versa, this is incredibly important. If you don't even know the colour codes for electrical wiring you probably shouldn't be touching it.

My old cooker has a thick white wire coming out of the back of it which plugs into a socket on the wall (it looks like an ordinary plug socket but its sealed).
What does that mean? "looks like an ordinary plug socket but it's sealed" ? Is it actually a socket, or is it a cooker outlet plate similar to these?:

BG979.jpg

CM2177.jpg

MKK5045.jpg

AA45COP.jpg

On the wall I also have a red switch which I presume is the mains switch for the oven, am I right? I hope you're still with me??
Does the old oven/cooker stop working when you turn it off?

Finally my question is: Can I detach the thick white cable coming from my old cooker and connect it to the spade connectors under the metal plate on my new one? I presume the thick white cable contains the red, black and neutral wires which I can hopefully connect to my new cooker?
There you go again with your red, black and neutral.... :eek:

What is the rating of the old cooker?

What is the rating of the new one?

What rating is the fuse/MCB in the CU?

What size is the cable between the CU and the control switch?

What size is the cable between the switch and the outlet plate?

What size is the cable from the outlet plate to the appliance?

also under that plate to the right of the spades, will be two 10mm nuts (M8) you undo these and secure the wires under the metal plate and then tighten the nut, I personally would remove the nut and plate and form a loop around a screwdriver with the stripped cable (conductor) replace the plate and tighten.

The Earth wire - The Bare conductor must be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving. - AND CONNECTED to the earth terminal.

Also below the plate is a cable strain relief / clamp.. fix the cable securely in that first, and dont crush it.

David

Thanks guys for your replies.

The white socket I told you about is indeed the cooker outlet plate, so thanks for clearing that one up for me.

My old cooker specification (according to the rating plate is as follows:

Voltage 50Hz~ 240v 230v
Total Load kW 11.15 10.24

My new cooker specification is:

Voltage 230-240V~50Hz
Wattage 10.8kW

Does this sound ok?

Secondly the wiring on my old cooker is as follows:

The white thick wire I told you about before contains a RED wire which goes to the right of the connectors and is secured with a bolt/screw. A BLACK wire which goes to the left of the conenctors and secured in the same way and thirdly a GREEN/YELLOW wire which goes to a separate bolt/screw connector onto the body of the cooker (the earth?)

On my new cooker I have the following wire colours on the plate:

A set of spade connections on the left which have RED, PURPLE and BROWN wires going to a screw/bolt and on the right I have all BLUE wires going to a screw/bolt. Finally I have a set of GREEN wires going to what looks like an earth connection on the chassis of the cooker.

Would I be right in thinking that I merely disconnect the RED cable from my old cooker and connect it to the left-hand side bolt/screw on my new cooker, disconnect the GREEN/YELLOW wire from my old cooker and connect it to the earth screw on my new cooker and finally the BLACK wire from my old cooker would connect to the right-hand side (the Neutral). Does this sound about right?

Sorry to appear so dumb, if you advise me to leave well alone and contact a sparky then of course I will.

Many thanks for your help

Davo

Sponsored Links
you didn't say exactly what size the cables were but if the cuircuit was within regs with your old cooker it should be within them with your new cooker

you have got the connections right this time
cable-cooker
red-red/purple/brown
black-blue
green/yellow-green

Just a quick line to say thank you for all your help, I have finally installed the new cooker and it works fine.

Many thanks once again, this site is fab!

Davo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back