replacing electric freestanding cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help me. I have taken out an old brown and white Belling cooker which was hard wired with a separate on/off switch on the wall. This connects to mains RCD unit with B32. I have just bought a freestanding electrolux insight cooker and thought I would be able to just connect the wires up. However, the wires coming from my wall are very thick also they are red(L), black(N) and yellow/green ( E). In my old cooker the wrapped round the terminals in this new cooker there is very little space and I cannot get the wire round the screew that goes in. Do I have to put some kind of end on the cable for it to fit in the electrolux? Or should I not do this myself? Please help I'm supposed to be cooking and I have already slung the old cooker in the garden to be collected.
Hope someone is out there...Cheers Dawn :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi Dawn

Can you tell us what kW or Amps the new cooker is? It should say on the paperwork or inside the oven door. You might not need to use such a big bit of cable if it's smaller than your old one.

It's best practice to put eye or spade crimps on the cable to terminate them into the cooker, but you won't have the equipment to do this I fear..

Takeaway?

SB

Hi Sparkybird
Thanks for replying...Tech details:
Wattage: 10.4-11.3 kW
Voltage: 230-240 Volts AC 50hz

Could I get what I need at B and Q?

Cheers for the advice...takeaway might be an option but I've bought all the food in!
Dawn

Dawn

Based on that info, your cooker probably needs a bigger supply cable and fuse - time to call a spark in I think.

Friendly neighbours...?

SB

Sponsored Links
If I put the crimps on I will be only using the oven will it be ok until I get and electrician on Monday?

Dawn :(

Oh that is big nearly 50A for full power will need 16mm cable however with diversity I suppose 10mm cable and 45A MCB will do. However I would guess original would use 6mm cable rated 34A and a 32A MCB is biggest you can fit.

In theory if you fit with 32A MCB worse case scenario is trip will open. And most likely the electrician will suggest you do that and if it keeps tripping then fit a bigger supply.

Be warned the crimp connectors need to be fitted to cable using crimp pliers with a pre-set tension not the cheap ones used with cars. Click on image for more info.

Just to echo whats said above. Looks like the existing supply will not be big enough for the new cooker.

Best not to use it - when you find out how much upgrading the wiring will cost you may want to take it back for a smaller one!!

Thank you everyone for being so generous with your time and advice I really appreciate it. Cheers Dawn :)

PS Still haven't connected it but I might give it a go its being moved in a couple of weeks when the new kitchen comes so it will be re-installed correctly. Thanks again

photo of the connections and cable comming from the wall would be of help to us.. it might be that there is a seperate connecting piece etc..

hi just wonder if any one can help i jjust move my old cooker out electric and it work fine put in a new cooker and fitted it in wire it in and soon as you tell any switch you can tell on all the switch and it bloe the trip switich can any more tell me what it might be

hi just wonder if any one can help i jjust move my old cooker out electric and it work fine put in a new cooker and fitted it in wire it in and soon as you tell any switch you can tell on all the switch and it bloe the trip switich can any more tell me what it might be

After activating my old enigma decoder I think it may be a dampness problem, though I'am assuming the cooker is RCD protected.

I often tell switches what to do but they ignore me.

Why don't you use the NEW TOPIC button instead of digging up somebody's old topic that has nothing whatever to do with your question :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back