Is new cooker connection unit required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am asking on behalf of my elderly aunt & uncle who are confused now as they have been given various bits of information.

They have bought a new freestanding cooker (like for like with their old one). The old one is wired directly into the cooker control unit. They would like to know if they can have their new one wired in the same way or do they need to have a cooker connection unit inbetween the cooker and the cooker control unit. The local electrician advises them they do and the firm who will deliver and install the new cooker say they are happy to wire as the old cooker. If they do need one, is this a legal requirement or because say the flex on new cookers these days isn't as long as it used to be.

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea to have a CCU but not governed by any regulation as far as I know(but I am willing to stand corrected), which is probably why you are getting conflicting information.

There is nothing wrong with wiring direct to a CCU.

On modern wiring systems to avoid an impossible requirement to keep cabling behind a wall / off the surface, the norm is:-

Fuse board > CCU > low level (under counter) connection point then a lead between that and the cooker.

The method your have is CCU, and I assume a surface cable direct down the the cooker, which is fine as long as the cable isn't a hazard and they are happy with the poor aesthetics.

Like said above so long as there's a cord grip in the box to stop the cable being tugged it's pure aesthetics

Sponsored Links
I always understood that a cooker connection unit was required, but I have trouble finding it in the OSG or BGB.

I came up with this post but I feel that the question is not answered?

Depends on the cooker. I know some Seimens and Bosch ovens come with a lead with plug on it, the oven has the corresponding socket. So you would need a cooker connection unit to terminate the other end of the lead.

I always understood that a cooker connection unit was required, but I have trouble finding it in the OSG or BGB.
Why would it be? It's just a connector.

Yes but it provides way of separating the cooker from the fixed wiring. So that there is a clear responsibility of the installer for everything down line of it.
I know I am wrong, but I wondered if someone might be able to provide a reference to the BGB, Nope a further look still does not find anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back