New Electrics Tripping the RCD

So as long as you 'forget' who did the initial install you can do whatever 'maintenance' you like without notification even if the original person didn't do so or test or certify? I remember asking about such a situation before only to be jumped on by the same people who are now suggesting that someone who knows nothing about electric is ok to work on a faulty garden power setup.
As you will have read, I'm not suggesting that at all. On the contrary, I suggested that Part P applies to any 'installing' of anything electrical, whether indooors or outdoors, and whether it be the initial installation or replacements (or changes) undertaken in the name of 'maintenance'.

I do agree that law probably has no control over 'inspecting' or 'testing' an existing electrical installation, which could be regarded as anomolous, but the moment one does virtually anything to an electrical installation, that will probably fall into a broad definition of 'installing' - hence bringing it within the scope of Part P (hence requirement for competence) and, if appropriate, the notification requirements of the Building Regs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Let's forget the debate about notification, self certification and part p. Op still has the problem and still knows nothing about electrics, so where do we go from here?

Let's forget the debate about notification, self certification and part p. Op still has the problem and still knows nothing about electrics, so where do we go from here?
I'm afraid that you probably answered that question, the best as anyone can, right at the start of this thread - so any useful (to the OP) part of the thread ended there. If an electrician was responsible for the work that led to this problem, then that electrician obviously should sort it. If the OP really can't "remember the name or number" of this electrician who did recent work then, since (s)he admits that (s)he "knows nothing about electrics" the only real option is to seek the services of another electrician (and this time make a note of their name and number, just in case).

...that is, unless you have a better idea. I certainly don't think it would be appropriate to give the OP 'step by step' instructions to follow in an attempt to diagnose and rectify the problem, do you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back