New ensuite - installing pump and flexible pipe questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m fitting a new ensuite, in a room that previously had no plumbing. I’ll be plumbing the hot and cold into this room from the loft above. I’ll also be running separate feeds for the shower. I need to fit a shower pump to increase the pressure. I have chosen the Stuart Monsoon Standard Twin 3.0 Bar 46416 Positive Head Shower Pump.

I have a few questions that I could do with some advice on please:

1. I’m thinking of doing the plumbing in 22mm flexible pipe (such as the speedfit stuff), mainly for convenience reasons and saving on joints. Does anyone have an opinion (positive or negative) on using this type of pipe from the pump down to my shower? (I’ll be using copper from the hot water tank to the pump).

2. As the pipe comes in a 25m roll I’ll also have enough for the standard plumbing of hot and cold into the ensuite as well. Am I fine to use 22mm pipe for this and then downsize to 15mm just before the toilet and sink, or is that inefficient?

Cheers
Jon

Sponsored Links
If you're buying it on a roll, then it would be wasteful not to use as much of it as possible.

the only downside it the larger volume of water in the pipe that will be wasted over the 15mm.

Is it just a shower, basin and WC in the room?

If so then the pump is OTT, and you will want to put the loo onto the water main rather than the pump to prevent nuisance activation in the middle of the night.

I would suggest a smaller pump and 15mm tube. Speedfit is OK I suppose, but it looks pants.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it will just be shower, sink and WC.

The pump is so meaty as we're having a very beefy shower head as well as seperate shower riser, which can both be used at the same time. I was planning on getting one with a lower bar rating but the manufacturer of the shower (Hudson Reed) recommended a 3 bar pump, so I was just planning to go with that.

I'm planning on running a dedicated feed for the shower seperately from the pump. The WC/Sink will be fed from a non pumped source.

Not planning on having any pipe on show so hopefully the looking pants bit won't matter too much :)

Cheers
Jon

Sponsored Links
You’ve chosen a positive head pump, where is it to be located in relation to the h/w-c/w storage tanks & have you considered how you will run the pipes? Both will affect the type of pump you need & it’s ultimate performance; but the STM 3 bar is an excellent pump. ;)

I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to plumbing & would never use speedfit let alone plastic, certainly not in my own house; copper & solder only for me with as few joints & fittings as possible.

You’ve chosen a positive head pump, where is it to be located in relation to the h/w-c/w storage tanks & have you considered how you will run the pipes? Both will affect the type of pump you need & it’s ultimate performance; but the STM 3 bar is an excellent pump. ;)

I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to plumbing & would never use speedfit let alone plastic, certainly not in my own house; copper & solder only for me with as few joints & fittings as possible.

Both the hot water and cold water tanks are in the loft. The hot water tank is at floor level, with the cold water tank positioned 1.5 - 2m above floor level. I'm planning to put the pump next to the hot water tank at floor level. I believe this is fine for the positive head pump.

Do you use Copper because you've had a bad experience with plastic, or because it will just generally last longer?

Do you use Copper because you've had a bad experience with plastic, or because it will just generally last longer?
I’ve not had any bad experience with it as I’ve never used it. As I said, I’m a traditionalist luddite but one who wonders just how long the rubber O rings that stop the whole lot leaking will actually last, it hasn’t been around long enough to judge. The plastic pipe itself will probably last forever.

Up & over pipe runs to the mixer &/or shower head can still put the pump into a negative head situation & need to be watched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back