New EPDM Firestone rubber Roof Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 72526
This is my new roof, it looks like a swimming pool. Granted we've had a lot of rain but it doesn't even flow into the drain.

On the right hand side doesn't look fully finished and has now started to leaked through to my garage.

The new roof was boarded on top of the old felt.

Should I expect as much pooling as this or this a really rubbish finish?

Sponsored Links
Did my own roofs with epdm, not a roofer but thats looks like a cr*p job, at wall it should run up the wall.Looks like they just used the existing lead to hide the poor finish. The rest looks sunken , which side is the gutter?

Did my own roofs with epdm, not a roofer but thats looks like a cr*p job, at wall it should run up the wall.Looks like they just used the existing lead to hide the poor finish. The rest looks sunken , which side is the gutter?

The sides have a lip so water should run into the drain that you can see on the right. The drain is higher than the rest so no water can even go down the drain. The side by the roof just has lead so water probably getting through causing the leak after 1 week!

Looks like a poor job to me (also not a roofer)- that ponding is not good. And if there's no upstand under the lead then yes its going to leak.
Think your main comeback will be that the drain is higher than the roof surface- its good practise to fillet under the boards so there's some slope (ideally away from the house) but with the drain being where it is that wouldn't have worked either.

Sponsored Links
<Snipped>On the right hand side doesn't look fully finished and has now started to leaked through to my garage.

The new roof was boarded on top of the old felt.

Should I expect as much pooling as this or this a really rubbish finish?

You should not expect it to leak.

Did you ask him to add falls,did he offer to add a fall? I suspect not he should not have put any roof covering on it until felt removed boards inspected and corrected any defective boards

It would only have taken a couple of minutes to check the falls with a level, and adjust.
The thickness of the outlet flange should have been routered out, so as to sit flush with the board.

Is that a carp I see? Dont know about a roof , but its a fine looking pond .

Reboarding over a felted roof is like Paddy and Murphy tarmaccing your drive.

If my fitters ever did that I'd burn their balls.

Cheapest quote by a guess?

Its not detrimental to the water proofing. However its always good practice to have water run off. Already some good advice on setting falls and routering out around the outlets.

Its a shame as the product if fitted correctly is a long term solution.

You also have to look out for ponding problems in view of when it is cold. Frozen water on roofs for long period of times could cause condensation problems if it is a cold roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back