New extension cracked thermolite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this may just be normal cracking that can happen with lightweight blocks, that wouldnt have been noticed had the plasterboard gone on already. The extension shell has been finished about 4-5 weeks.

This wall with a crack from below the sill to the floor has a concrete block as a padstone on the left hand side with the triple joist for hanging the others from on it.

View media item 15362 View media item 14292 View media item 15361
Need to get the builder back or is this nothing to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Looks like typical shrinkage to me.

We use tarmac toplites and don't seem to be as prone as say celcon or thermalite, to thermal or shrinkage cracking.

Almost certainly shrinkage & it won’t fall down. However, if your going for a conventional render/plastered finish, I would give good odds that unless it’s reinforced, the crack will show through the finish after a while as it dries out. It may be worth getting some reinforcing mesh over the crack prior to the render/plaster base going on, it’ll cost next to nothing at that stage but will be a total bloody nuisance to fix later. If it’s a “dot/dab/skim, job you will stand a better chance but nothing is guaranteed. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, plasterboard it is going to get, not for a few weeks yet though so maybe it will have finished its realignment by then ;)

Hey, just noticed your first pic. Did the same guy lay the blocks and bricks as they are not level with each other??

Yes but the window company messed up with the size so he had to "adjust" the opening to suit it.
Pic 2 has the cut blocks in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back