New extension, part "P" & all that........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a single storey side & rear extension, with full plans approval. As part of this I need to ensure that all the new electrics are part P compliant.

When I obtain quotes, what will I be getting for my money? The work will entail approximately seven double sockets, four lights, one shower and two extractor fans. I will be pulling the cables from the C/U for the shower myself.

Is it a case of the sparky carrying our & certifying all the new work only? Or does he have to perform checks & certify the existing wiring as well?

I just want to get an idea of what is required & what I will be paying for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm building a single storey side & rear extension, with full plans approval. As part of this I need to ensure that all the new electrics are part P compliant.

Glad to hear you want to do it right

When I obtain quotes, what will I be getting for my money? The work will entail approximately seven double sockets, four lights, one shower and two extractor fans. I will be pulling the cables from the C/U for the shower myself.

You might like to check that your electrician is happy to certify your work.

Is it a case of the sparky carrying our & certifying all the new work only? Or does he have to perform checks & certify the existing wiring as well?

The new work will have to be tested and certified, certainly but the original installation MUST be brought up to the curent standard and it must be capable of being added to safely.

Thanks for that, the only work I'm doing is the physical pulling of the shower cable under the floor as I've currently got the floor boards up. The house was rewired in '98 so I'm hoping it will be largely okay. Knowing my luck though................

The house was rewired in '98 so I'm hoping it will be largely okay. Knowing my luck though................

Hmm '98 means that it have been installed to BS7671 15th edition regulations and we are now embarking on the 17th.......

Certainly the earth bonding will need bringing up to scratch. You may need supp bonding in the bathrooms if there's none there.

Get your spark in early ( www.competentperson.co.uk) to work with you and to ensure there's no more floors to rip up.
Stay close to him, be kind to him, give him muchos coffee in the mornings, tea and biscuits in the afternoons and pay his bills promptly - that way leads to an easy life.

The other way leads to madness :evil:

Sponsored Links
The house was rewired in '98 so I'm hoping it will be largely okay. Knowing my luck though................

Hmm '98 means that it have been installed to BS7671 15th edition regulations and we are now embarking on the 17th.......

Sixteenth Edition 1991.
Reprinted 1992 as BS 7671
Amendment No 1, 1994
Amendment No 2, 1997...

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back