New extension, Planning Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
We are just at the very start of our Extension build and I am hoping to get some advice on the plans I have drawn up. I think they are about 90% there. Now I realise that what I have here is no where near enough detail for Building Regs Approval but I am hoping that it will be enough for the local Planning Office (Kingston upon Hull). Any advice or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Ground Floor Existing

Ground Floor Proposed

First Floor Existing

First Floor Proposed

South/Front Elevation

West/Left Side Elevation

North/Rear Elevation

East/Joining Elevation

I have only been able to upload pictures of the plans and not the actual DWG file. If any needs them I can send on an email or any advice on how to post here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Why are you not extending the roof line across the new extension? Do you plan to leave it as an ugly flat roof? if so, have you checked whether your LA will allow this as some have now refused designs like this.

Cost is the main factor ey143. I know precedent set by neighbours means little but the majority (15 of 80 properties) down the street are like this.

Out of curiosity due to my own extension, how much does the cost compare between a flat and a pitched One?

Sponsored Links
TBH I have no idea but I should imagine that it would be quite substantial

'Precedent' means nothing to planning officers.
Check your council's policy guidelines for 2-storey side extensions, and it's pretty certain to refuse flat roofs.

Aye they look terrible with a flat roof and everything should be done to prevent yet more such monstrosities.

The drawings are acceptable for planning at least for validation purposes though I can't see a proposed ground floor? And there seems to be two staircases?

Does your council allow flat roofs at first floor level? Most don't

Thanks for the responses guys.
As it turns out we will most likely be going down the hipped roof by the looks of things. Really didn't want to due to cost but if needs must. So will adjust the drawings as needed.

Freddymercurystwin It looks like I added the first floor twice. oops. so here it is below. The second staircase in the first floor plan it the existing staircase up to a boarded loft space done many many moons ago.

Have you read your local planning policy guidelines?

Planners normally require a set back of the extension at first floor level on the front elevation. And check about building close to a boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back