Planning item query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently designing a first floor extension to a detached double garage. I have noted on my elevations materials I will be using but the planning authority have requested proof that the materials will tie in with the house.

The home owner has informed me they have the original elevations of the house.

I was thinking of replying to the planning authority with a photocopy of original plans, coloured elevations to further identify materials I have specified and also plenty of photographs of the existing house and the existing double garage.

Would this be sufficient?

Regards, jcs.

Sponsored Links
Why would they not just accept a photo of the house as it is now.

I've never had to do anything more than state materials and that they'll match (or not) on 2D b/w eles unless its been a listed building.

If there's time they'll get back to you if the information you provide is insufficient. How about this though, shock horror you could even speak to the officer!

You're not really an architect are you?

I'm currently designing a first floor extension to a detached double garage.

Do you mean a single storey/ground floor extension?

I have noted on my elevations materials I will be using but the planning authority have requested proof that the materials will tie in with the house.

If you have stated the actual materials, how would the LPA know the materials for the existing house, without having to carry out a site visit? On 99.9% of application forms and drawings that accompany them, you would note "materials to match existing", which is what I think the LPA are asking you to confirm.

Sponsored Links
... the planning authority have requested proof that the materials will tie in with the house.

What does that mean?

Tie in, as in the fixing method or matching/harmonising?

Either way it seems a nonsense request as the fixing method is not a planning consideration, and an applicant can not prove that materials will match as that is a subjective planning consideration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back