1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Detached garage 56m2

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Tom bennett, 27 Sep 2017.

1. Tom bennett

Tom bennett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMG_0131.jpg
    I am looking to build a detached garage on my property. I am wondering if I will require planning permission. The red outline denotes land owned by me.

The garage will be 7mx8m to accommodate 2x cars and some work area. We already have an existing single garage which will be removed (shown in pink)

The garage I wish to build shown in blue will be less than 2.5m in height because it will be pretty much on or as near to the boundary as possible with my neighbour to the rear.

We have an extension from 1978 shown in green. I understand building control will have to be involved (they are involved in the house and steel works anyway at the moment) but if i could avoid planning it would be great.

The principle elevation would be to the right of the picture. The side elevation at the bottom.

What do you guys think.?

Thanks in advance.
    Tom.

2. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As it seems you already have, see the bullet points on https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings
    If I were forced to bet one way, I'd say it's PD. You can get the council to commit to that by getting a LDC.
    But indeed you will need building regs due to the floor area. If you wanted to avoid that, you could do a 6x5 garage and a separate 6x4 workshop.

3. Tom bennett

Tom bennett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into a LDC as I have never heard of that. ive no problem with building control.

4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶m̶i̶t̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

Y̶o̶u̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶H̶i̶g̶h̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶

Last edited: 28 Sep 2017
  5. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Agreed a change in access is a planning issue but it looked like the was already access for the existing garage. And I am not sure which condition it breaches that stops it being of apart from that.
    But either way the LDC will clear it all up ahead of time.

6. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why would it need full planning permission? (assuming the principle elevation is facing Furzdale Pk).

7. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, ignore me. I misread things :oops:

8. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We usually do.

9. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At your peril.

10. Footsoldier888

Footsoldier888

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not a planning issue but the principle elevation and access is to change to Furzedale Pk? There appears to be a patch of land between your property and Furzedale not in your ownership.

Do you have right of way over this land??? Perhaps the developer owns it???

You could be too near the junction on Furzedale too if this is the idea.