Not built as per approved planning drawings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm working on a project that had a side extension built - I'm guessing - around 30-40 years ago.

It had planning approved then. I don't have access to the drawings, but I assume they were not built as per the drawings as the side extension has a flat roof, and doesn't continue the pitch of the original building.....which is visible from the front elevation.

The client wants to submit another planning application to do a loft conversion to the original roof and a rear extension.

Existing drawings will have to include the dodgey side extension.

Would it be in the councils power, at this late stage, to ask the owners to change the flat roof to pitched, to be in keeping with the front elevation of the house?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely not; the time limit for enforcement on Planning issues is four years.

The could condition roof alteration as part of granting the permission for the loft work, or use the roof as reason for refusal of the loft work if it is approprate to do so

Sponsored Links
the time limit for enforcement on Planning issues is four years.
Does that period start from the time the work was actually done, or from the time the local authority becomes aware that the work has been done?

In the case of a side extension which is visible to all and sundry from the street, it's four years from when it was 'substantially complete', regardless of whether or not the LPA know about it.
If the extension was hidden from view by, for example, bales of hay such that it was a deliberate attempt to conceal it, there would probably be no time limit as it would be an attempt to play the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back