New extension, uncovered cavity wall insulation is now soaked

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a ground floor extension built and the insulated walls have been left uncovered resulting the insulation getting soaked through. There has been a delay and they have been left exposed for a few weeks now, and unfortunately there has been a lot of rain. The wall is built with breeze blocks - both on the internal and external sides.

In its current state, the insulation appears to be bulging out of the cavity at the top (see photos), and has been bleached white in the sun. The insulation is wet to touch, and I've stuck my hand down inside the cavity and it is wet as far as I can reach. The top bit of insulation is easy to pull out, but after that the insulation is kept in by bits of wire that go from the internal to external walls (wall ties?).

I have attached a couple of photos taken from the first floor, looking down.

I am very worried about this. The architect doesn't seem concerned. I'm yet to speak to the builder.

Is this a problem?

Attachments

• 2016-06-19 16.30.48.jpg
    2016-06-19 16.30.48.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 670
  • 2016-06-19 16.31.35.jpg
    2016-06-19 16.31.35.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 737
Sponsored Links
If the wall is now kept dry the insulation will dry out. If it is finished in render outside and plaster inside and the cavity capped by the roof, I really don't know how long it will take to dry out - 6 months? Until its dry you will have problems with interior decoration.
Frank

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back