New external waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to start a significant remodelling of a small two-up two-down victorian terrace. In the design we have decided to have the washing machine and tumble dryer upstairs. Upstairs all of the plumbing is on one side of the bathroom (onto the side return wall) and there is no room to put a washing machine on this wall.

Therefore, I think I have to install a new exterior outlet pipe which will then T into the existing waste pipes.

I have lots of questions how to best do this.

1. The house currently has a waste pipe carrying basin and tap water (no toilet waste) so I am assuming in terms of regs T'ing into this pipe is possible at any point?
2. Anyone have any advice for drilling the hole through the exterior wall of the house? This job makes me nervous. How is it best to secure the pipe which goes through the hole - are there 'plates' you buy or do you need to surround the pipe with some expanding foam?
3. How is it best to T into the existing waste pipe?
4. When routing the external pipe work are there regs which prescribe how steep the drop needs to be?

Sorry for the very basic questions.

All the best,

dgrs

Sponsored Links
you are putting a washing machine & tumble drier in you bathroom ? if so it's the electrics you need to worry about rather than the waste pipe

you are putting a washing machine & tumble drier in you bathroom ? if so it's the electrics you need to worry about rather than the waste pipe

I don't need to worry about the electrics as the bathroom is being divided into 2 so ultimately the washer won't be in the bathroom. Temporarily the machine, although it will be in the bathroom, it will be in a cupboard (enclosure) so the electrics will be fine.

dgrs

Electrics aside, what size is current pipe you are proposing to connect into? A basin waste is usally 32mm diameter, not adequate for a washing machine.

Victorian bricks are usually hard as nails, either hire a suitable drill and core bit, (do not try to use a core bit in a normal drill, it must be a tool designed for the job or could easily break your wrist!), or if working outside from a ladder, cut a section of a brick out. Joints will probably be lime mortar, very crumbly so easy to remove and loosen a bit of brick. Fit pipe and make good joint with sand/cement mortar. This alone will secure pipe. Expanding foam looks bl**dy awful, and will go orange over time.

Use a suitable Tee to connect into existing pipe. As long as it has some fall the water will run away. Wastes can be anything from vertical to near horizontal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your useful reply. I think removing a brick will indeed be very easy - the bricks are visible from the inside as well as outside. Point taken that if I went the drill route I'd need an SDS drill not a normal one.

I am surprised 32mm not suitable for washing machine - I'm pretty sure this is what all of my previous properties have had; albeit they were 'standing' pipes. What pipe size is required?

Thanks again,

dgrs

1 1/4" (32mm) for basins, 1 1/2" (40mm) for everything else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back