Kitchen waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm close to having a kitchen fitted into what was a dining room.

Before we get the sink installed I will need to make way for the waste pipe. There is an external soil pipe approx 40cm from where the pipe will need to exit.

My questions (if possible) are:

What is best practice to drill through single blockwork and what diameter will be best for pipe?
What height above the exterior floor will this hole need to be at exit?
Can I plumb directly into soil pipe and how is this best achieved?
What angle (if important) is ideal for waste sink water?

Any other help would be greatfully recieved!

Sponsored Links
hi a 2" core drill would be best as a kitchen waste pipe should be 1.5" min. As long as you don't put a hole below the damp course anywhere that is best for you is ok (remember to seal the outside of your hole around the waste pipe). Is your soil pipe plastic or cast iron, with plastic simply use a hole saw to cut a hole into the soil and use a 'strap on boss 1.5"' simply glue this onto the soil and connect your waste. Cast iron is a lot harder and i would need to see the stack to best advise you

Great advice thank you :)

The soil pipe is plastic. Providing I can drill a hole high enough is there a best angle for the waste pipe to go into the soil pipe? I have attached a VERY basic pic to try and explain! :confused:

I suppose the easiest exit would be by using the air brick (well its a metal grill) for the exit but I think the angle is too shallow?

What type of drill is best for going through single blockwork?

Thanks for any input!

View media item 24604

anywhere between 18mm and 80mm fall per metre is fine - although keeping it fairly flattish as it goes into the rubber part of a boss on the soil stack is wise.

To be honest, for single blockwork, I wouldn't bother with the core drill - remove a brick with a cold chisel and hammer. A small bag of mortar will only set you back a couple of pounds, and the larger hole will be a godsend when you're trying to manipulate the wastepipe into the boss.

Sponsored Links
Dont try and force the waste pipe into the boss if its the wrong angle. Maybe easier if you keep the waste pipe close to the wall and use a couple of 45deg bends to 'dogleg' the pipe away from the wall near the stack, and achieve the desired angle into the boss.

Dont try and force the waste pipe into the boss if its the wrong angle. Maybe easier if you keep the waste pipe close to the wall and use a couple of 45deg bends to 'dogleg' the pipe away from the wall near the stack, and achieve the desired angle into the boss.
Looks prettier too, quite apart from the fact that if there are any brackets involved, there's no other way that feels satifsfactory.

Op, where the pipe exits the wall, it's worth putting an access point for ease of cleaning.

Thanks to all for their very helpful advice

Update: I have looked a lot closer to the soil pipe and there appears to be a 'junction section' (access?) which has two 62mm undrilled/unopened connections.

Can I join a 40mm pipe into this using a rubber gasket? If so what is best way of opening the connections?

I have looked at adding 2 x 45 deg connections (thanks Hugh Jaleak :)) Must I connect all my pipes using solvent or are the push-fit ones ok?

Thanks again to all and making this forum the best source of advice on the net!

If there is an unopened boss on the access pipe then it can be used, no problems. You need a 40mm boss adaptor, (the rubber plug that fits into the boss and will accept a 40mm pipe).

Push fit is fine, solvent weld is the professional choice as it looks neater. If you do plan on using solvent weld, assemble the joints dry, and mark their positions before gluing. The glue fuses the joint in seconds, if you get it wrong it wont come undone again!

The waste has to enter the soilpipe at least eighteen inches above the bottom of the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back