New extractor has earth - what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

Trying to combat humidity levels in my house so upgraded my integrated cooker hood for a more powerful model. Both were the same make, same dimensions and used a kettle plug, so I figured an easy like for like swap. However I'm past the point of no return and have realised the old cooker's plug only has 2 wires/contacts (live and neutral) while the new model also has an earth. The existing plug runs through wall (so no access) but there's no way I can see to access an earth cable without some serious work. So I'm trying to find out if there's a way to know if it's safe to just sleeve the earth cable and not use it, or if it's there it means I need to; there's no mention of the unit being double insulated in this manual but there isn't in the other one either, they seem to just wipe their hands of the electric stuff, probably for liability reasons.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Trying to combat humidity levels in my house so upgraded my integrated cooker hood for a more powerful model. Both were the same make, same dimensions and used a kettle plug, so I figured an easy like for like swap. However I'm past the point of no return and have realised the old cooker's plug only has 2 wires/contacts (live and neutral) while the new model also has an earth. The existing plug runs through wall (so no access) but there's no way I can see to access an earth cable without some serious work. So I'm trying to find out if there's a way to know if it's safe to just sleeve the earth cable and not use it,
or if it's there it means I need to; there's no mention of the unit being double insulated in this manual but there isn't in the other one either, they seem to just wipe their hands of the electric stuff, probably for liability reasons.
If it has an earth connection then you must earth the hood.

The cable running up to it should have an earth, regardless of whether it was used or not. The previous installer may have snipped the earth conductor off, nevertheless, the cable should have had an earth.

BTW, I am not an electrician.

The cable running up to it should have an earth, regardless of whether it was used or not. The previous installer may have snipped the earth conductor off, nevertheless, the cable should have had an earth.

BTW, I am not an electrician.

Unless the installer used the fixed cable from the cooker hood !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back